Chapter One: As the Beta

"Mason Dean Matthews! Come down here for breakfast! Or so help me, I will send up your father!" My mother, Addi, yells up to me. I groan and put the pillow over my face, trying to block out the outside world.

I hear several footsteps leading up to my room as the door bursts open.

"Mason! Get your lousy butt out of your bed! The whole pack is downstairs eating and your making a scene!" My dad rips off my black comforter as it slips onto the ground from my dad's grasp.

I curl into a ball and complain. "You're the one who is yelling in the first place. I just wanna go to bed." I yawn as I feel my eyes droop.

"If you are so sure, I guess Pheonix will have to wait." He says, leaning against my white door. His same, familiar jet black hair drops over his eyes. His blue eyes spark curiosity and mischief.

My features are almost identical to his. I have the same black hair and blue eyes as him. Expect my left eye is more of a greyish black as my right eye is a bright dark blue. I have the same tan skin as his bright one.

"Wait? For what?" I ask, sitting up.

"For you to spend all day with her, of course." He grins, opening my bedroom door. "Unless of course, you don't want to be her hero anymore and rather have her hero be Jasper. But yeah, I guess that's cool or whatever. Who knows, maybe even the pack will you kick you out from being Beta." He chuckles to himself.

"Like hell she would have Jasper as her hero!" I say, getting up from my bed. Then the cold draft comes and makes me shudder. I guess that would happen if you only wore your boxers to bed.

He laughs and walks out of my bedroom.

I growl to myself. My walls are painted a pastel black as my carpet is sheet white. A few pictures are hung on my walls of me and my sister Phoenix. She has the same black hair as her eyes are a deep grey.

My mattress is a stark white. My head board is a light grey as well as my soft feathered pillows. The silk black sheet lays on my bed along with my black comforter.

There is a grey desk in the corner of my room that is littered with random papers and files over many wolves in my pack. There is a dark blue swivel chair tucked neatly under the desk.

My walk in closet is next to my desk.

I know, my room is depressing.

I get up and go to the walk in closet, walking inside the unusually warm closet. I pull out some black cargo shorts, not even bothering with a shirt to wear. I go up to my mirror hung neatly at the end of the closet and I nod approvingly.

I pull out a little bit of my gel and slick the front of my hair up and to the side. I nod approvingly and walk out of my closet, looking around for Jet, my dog. Jet is my pit bull puppy. I got Jet for my eighteenth birthday three days ago.

I sigh and shake my head.

I head out my bedroom door and walk into the living room, some of my pack members sitting on the long beige couch. Immediately I hear a little girl scream.

"Mason!" Phoenix runs to me, hugging her arms around my chest.

My little Phoenix is already fourteen. Her fifteenth birthday is in a week. And I think I'm even more nervous than my parents or family. I can't even believe it. My little buddy is gonna leave me and find her mate when she's seventeen.

Her long black hair settles to her sides, her deep grey eyes captivating anything that meets her gaze. I chuckle and pick her up, her wrapping her legs around me as well as her arms around my neck.