Chapter 2: Getting Ready

I wake up the next morning to Phoenix sitting on me. She giggles and smiles wide. I yawn and sit up, grunting to myself. Thanks to my new alarm clock; Phoenix, I won't get any sleep for the whole week.

Mom, dad, please come home! Why did you choose vacation over my sleeping schedule? Oh my goddess, this is going to be fun. Notice my sarcasm.

"Come on! I'm hungry, let me eat! I missed the pack breakfast!" She whines, pouting with her bottom lip. I roll my eyes and push her off me. "Ow! Jeez, I can't wait until my birthday. It's going to be my first shift! Then maybe I can be stronger and spar you! I would win too!"

"In your dreams. I'm the Beta. You may be in the Beta family, but you're not going to be good at sparring right off the bat." I shrug. "Who are you gonna have with you for your first shift? Mom and dad won't be here until next Monday."

"You!" She smiles. "What is happening this week? You know, besides my birthday." She giggles, sitting on my bed.

"Well...Monday is the Mate Meeting. We have school on Tuesday. Then we have your birthday on Thursday and we are accepting new pack members on Friday." I get out of bed, heading to my walk in closet.

"What day is it today?" She asks sweetly, following me into the walk in closet. She has on her snowman onsie and her hair is in a French braid. How I know what a French braid is? I had to learn for my mate and Phoenix and my mom made sure of it too.

"Today is Saturday. And today we are going to buy some school supplies that mom and dad forgot about. I mean, they remembered the basics but I'm talking about the complicated stuff. Plus, we need to get some groceries and cleaning supplies." I say, grabbing a sweatshirt and black skinny jeans.

"What do I do for the week? You're gonna be busy doing Beta stuff. I'm going to be all alone!" She plops on the ground, huffing.

I roll my eyes and slip on my clothes.

"You're gonna be there with me all through it. I asked Jasper and he said yeah." I wince, remembering the Mate Meeting. I hope she doesn't find her mate. I know that's rude of me and all, but she's only fourteen! Sure, her fifteenth birthday is on Thursday, but still, too young.

"What if my mate is there?" She looks up at me with her innocent grey eyes and I growl.

If her mate is there and from another pack, she would have to leave with him. But right now, she can't feel the mate pull or even sparks. Either way, she would leave me and move in with her mate. I can't imagine what I would do without my little Phoenix.

I gave her her name. After all of mom and dad's bickering, I settled it with Phoenix. Why I gave her that name is because she's like a phoenix, rising all of us from the ashes.

"Doesn't matter. You're not leaving. You guys would stay in contact for when you're older. Until that day comes, you stay here." I shrug it off and walk past her, grabbing my keys and wallet off of my desk. "Until any of that starts, lets go to the store." I frown. "After you change clothes that is."

She pouts but walks out of my room, heading down the hallway.

X

I open the truck door and head to the bed of the truck, pulling out bags. I pick up several light weight ones and hand them to Phoenix. She groans and picks them up, dragging her feet to the front door.

I pick up all the rest. There were so much left and they were all heavy. Basically, I felt like they were cutting off my circulation in my arms. Yeah, fun, I know. Again, sarcasm.

I sigh and struggle to lock my truck. I walk over to Phoenix and unlock the front door, Phoenix running in front of me. She shoves me to the side and drops everything next to where the kitchen and living room meet.