Chapter 33: Ears and Tails No More

Jasper's POV_

I lay there on an observation table in the pack infirmary. I'm hooked up to tubes that lead from my arms and into a machine, just sighing. It's official. I had lost my title as Alpha. I have lost my Beta. Nothing but questions flood through my mind, the crashing of the waves hitting my skull to the point to where I get a pounding headache.

Does Mason know of my unbrotherly love for him? Does he know I used to like Cleo? What if he knows that I traded off his sister and his sister's mate? What if Pheonix and Keagon are dead? Will there be a war if his pack finds out? What was Mason's motivation for challenging me as Alpha? Will I just be another everyday boring wolf? What will my father think of me? Will my family be disappointed in me? What will my pack say about me? What about the Luna Finding thing? What about all the times we shared together? Does he even think of me in that way?

Soon the questions go into a frenzy in my mind, just repeating itself as soon as I think the torture is over. The questions running through my mind became all too much for me, causing me to hyperventilate and my migraine to worsen.

Next thing I know, doctors and nurses come running into the room, all shouting and tapping away on machines. I feel my eyes droop and there's nothing more I'd like to do than go to sleep. Maybe then the thoughts and questions will go away. Maybe then I wouldn't have to hear it constantly nagging me in the back of my head. Because the truth is, those questions are the only thing I think about. I don't even think about my own needs. I wonder about those questions.

Day and night they haunt me. Every time the moon comes up, it just reminds me of another day that Mason doesn't know how I feel towards him.

A nurse rushes up to the bed next to me, putting a lock of her bright red hair behind her ear. She looks at me with pity. The same kind of pity that Mason hates. The same pity that I come to love.

"Keep your eyes open, wolf. Alpha Mason is coming! Don't close your eyes! Stay awake!" She whispers urgently, a worried look in her eyes as I hear the heart monitor grow slower and slower by the second. "Come on! Stay awake!" One thing she said caught my ears. Alpha Mason. She referred to me as Wolf. I mean nothing to the pack now. "For the love of goddess, stay awake!"

"I'll do what I want! Fuck you!" I hiss at her, closing my eyes as I let darkness in.

Mason's POV 

The impossible has happened. 

I stand there in front of the body mirror hanging up in my room, staring at my head in awe. My somewhat loose black men's joggers cling to my legs and my plain black sleeveless shirt tightens around my chest. I just can't seem to get over what just stood in front of my eyes.

Cleo smiles and walks up from behind me, hugging me. I look down at her and as always, her smile is contagious. One of my own grows as I lean down and kiss the top of her head. Cleo stands in front of me, us still hugging, as she looks up at me, her chin resting on my chest.

"I knew you could do it, Mas. Your ears and tails are gone!" I chuckle and nod, leaning down to kiss the tip of her nose.

What she says is true. Once I shifted back from wolf form, my ears and tail were no where to be found. Now I don't have the pain when I lay a certain way. Now I won't get awkward stares from wolves. Now I felt like my old self. Now I feel like how I should.

"I still can't believe it." I whisper to her, dipping my head down into her neck, inhaling her scent. "It's gone...It's gone..." Squeezing my eyes shut, I feel emotions stir inside of me. Happiness...relief...and...sadness..? "What will Jasper think? My best friend..."

Cleo brings my chin up with her fingertips and stares into my miscolored blue eyes with her own emerald determined ones. She kisses my forehead and smiles, shaking her own head.

"Don't let this bring you down at all, Mas. You're a strong Alpha now. That chapter of your life is over with. While you were his old Beta, he was indeed in charge of you. But that all is done and over with. This is who you are meant to be. You have finally taken your ancestor's place and became what you were destined to be. Don't see hurting your best friend. See it as changing yourself for the better. You have the brains, power, size, heart, kindness, leadership, will, and thoughts of an Alpha. You've done your family proud. If Jasper doesn't see that, then he's not your best friend after all." She whispers out gently, looking down at my chin and caressing it. Her stare meets my eyes and her bright smile is back. "You're amazing, my King. Thank you for being the light of my life."

A bright smile shines across my face and I capture my lips with hers.

Cleo was my own light in the darkness as was I hers. I said it before and I'll say it again. I've had a past that any normal being wouldn't originally have. I've gone drinking already for a large portion of my life and I would party like it was no one's buisness. But as soon as my little mate came along, all of that had changed. I was now a well respected Alpha. She had changed my life and for the better. She's my angel, my life. I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else than her. My mate. Every day that I woke up next to her, became the best day of my life.

Coming apart from the kiss, I rest my forehead against hers, smiling like a goon as I stare into her eyes. Her and I have come so far since the first day we've met. We've both changed.

I put my hand over her chest, right over where he heart would be. "Of course, my Queen. You're my life." Kissing her cheek, I look back up to the mirror in pride. This is my Luna. This is the light of my world. This is my mate.

"Your ears and tail must have left since you became Alpha." She says, tightening her grip around me. "Wait--" Realization hits her eyes as her head once again snaps up to me in fear. "I-I'm the Luna? How can I do that? How can I take care of a pack if I can't even take care of myself? I push doors that say pull, I was originally a rouge, I-I don't know what I am anymore. Am I a rouge? Am I just some other She-Wolf? What am I exposed to do in my life?"

"Babe!" I sigh, shaking my head. "You lived a large portion of your life out there in those woods. You're strong enough to do that. If you can handle all that, you can handle this." I brush a stray hair behind her ear, making a light blush appear on her cheeks. "Don't forget that, my Queen. To me, you're a thousand gems and if no one can see that, then they're all blind. You are the most amazing and beautiful person to play this role. I wouldn't want anyone else to be by my side to lead than you. And I'll tell you what you are, you are an amazing Luna. You're my mate. You are the world and you are beautiful. Don't forget or ever question your worth. This is you. This is us. You are my other half, little mate. We are equal. What you are, I am too. What I am, you are. We are the same but different all rolled up into one. We are one. We are part of each other."

"But I don't want to change myself." Cleo looks down shamefully and I pull her chin up.

"You don't have to change. In fact, I recommend you to just be who you are. That's the girl that I fell in love with. I don't want you to pretend to be someone you're not. Your true self is the side that we all love. That's the side that I want to be my Luna. Where I am ruthless, you calm me. Where I am in a spot that I have no right to judge, you can. I love you, Cleo." I whisper out, dipping my head down into her neck.

"I love you too, Mas. Forever and always."

We share another kiss and part, us both smiling.

Alpha! Jasper has awaken. The pack doctor, Elaine says, making me nod through the link.

I'm on my way. Keep him stable. I say back, an urgent voice of mine ringing out.