Chapter 34: Beta

Mason's POV

Let's just say that walking into the pack infirmary was not a very pleasurable experience. I spent so many days and nights here in this place. Like when I was almost dead drunk and I was rushed here to get it out of my system. Other times I would be severely injured from rouges. Then just seeing all my family members die in here... every single person I've ever loved has died here. Hell, this is a place where my mate had nearly died. Now my best friend is in the same position. It's just a very unnerving place to be. I'm what the people here call a 'regular patient'. 

Cleo clings to my arm and I know that she can feel the atmosphere around here too. It's a place where you could feel the death of all the patients that used to be here. It's not like a bad aura at all. It's like the people of the past are loving you with all their heart. But it's comforting at the same time. I can slightly feel the presence of my ancestors here. Okay that's a bit too creepy...

"Room 104fd, Alpha Mason." The lady at the main desk says, making me nod in thanks.

I clasp onto my mate's hand as I open the door to see doctors and nurses rushing around and pumping things into Jasper's arms. Once I enter, everyone snaps their gazes to me. I feel Cleo freeze next to me and I rub circles on her hand in reassurance.

"Please continue." I say, making them all nod and continue to run around and getting things situated.

Elaine walks up to us and nods in greetings to Cleo before turning to me. "Thank you for coming, Alpha Mason. Jasper had been stable not long ago but his anxiety must have caught up with him because he fainted. We are still securing him but he is quite okay now. I'd say it's not terribly long until he wakes up. We are just situating things here and getting things back to what they were before. But as you can see we are time limited at this point. So until everything is completely safe, do you mind waiting outside the door until we call you back in?"

I let everything sink in before nodding. "Yes, thank you Elaine. I owe you one." I smile at her.

"Well no problem, this is my job after all. Ah, by the way, congratulations on becoming Alpha. It's about time." I chuckle and nod in agreement. "Okay now shoo, I have a job to do. Bye love birds!" She laughs before twisting on her heel and walking back to Jasper's needs.

I look down at Cleo and offer her a smile, opening the door and tugging her with me, closing the door behind us. I near the chairs right outside the door, sitting down in a chair and pulling her into my lap. She smiles and kisses my cheek, which leads me to kiss her nose.

"Thanks for being with me, Mason." Cleo whispers out, leaning her head on my chest. I look down at her in shock, my lips agape. How could one ask that? She's a magnet, the one that I go to.

"Are you crazy, baby? Of course I would be with you, how could I not? Trust me little one, you've got me twisted around your pretty little finger. I'm not going anywhere unless you made me." I say, looking at her in disbelief.  A lovesick smile makes a way onto my face and she laughs. "Hell, even then I wouldn't leave you. Why would I? I couldn't when I have no reason to."

"I love you, Mas." Cleo says, pecking my lips and cuddling into me, forming a ball.

"I love you too, Cleo. Always." I whisper, hugging her and keeping my arms wrapped around her small frame.

We lay there for I don't know how long, just relaxing and enjoying our time together. Her scent, it's like silk, just wrapped around me. This is what happiness is. This is what having a mate feels like. This is what love feels like. The most purest and softest kind of love. Amazing love.

We lay there in each other's arms for I have no clue how long, just enjoying the company of one another. Enjoying the happiness in our hearts radiating. Enjoying even being close to each other. After a while Cleo's heartbeat slows and she falls asleep in my arms. Where she belongs. In my arms.

I guess after a while I drift off as well. Not like I'm complaining.

I get thrown out from my dream to someone tapping away at my bicep. I look up to Elaine with drowsy eyes.

"Yes?" I yawn, Cleo stirring awake as well.

"Jasper is awake and is requesting to see you." Elaine looks to Cleo with a small smile on her lips. "Mason alone, sweet heart. You can go in when they are finished." Cleo nods to her sleepily.

Getting up from the chair with Cleo still in my arms, I set her back down before standing tall. Nodding to Elaine in thanks, I walk over to the door and shove it open, walking in to hear the door close from behind me. Quietly gulping, I approach Jasper sitting there, leaning against the head board.

"Nice to see your tail and ears are gone." Jasper mumbles, sighing in defeat before looking up to me. "Okay enough fooling around and avoiding the obvious. Why did you do it, Mason? Why did you challenge me for Alpha?" Jasper whimpers out, hurt lacing his tone.

I think in my head for what to say. It was half and half for why I did that. Both because the royal family demanded I did it to continue the line and because I wanted to be like my grandfather before me. Well, I guess I sort of just wanted to. A part of me just wanted to be Alpha. The dominant side of me wanted to be let out and be free. The Alpha side.

"I wanted to stand for my ancestors. I wanted to show others that I was not degraded from Alpha to Beta because I was weak. I don't want to represent my family like that. I am strong and I will fight all I can to show people that." I rumble, my eyes growing slightly aflame. My Alpha side is already growing.

"But what will everyone think? They're disappointed in me." I want to growl at him. That's my problem how...? I'm not going to give him the Alpha title just because his ego can't take it.

"If they're your family and care for you, they won't be. After all, I still am having you as my Beta so it's fine." I say, grinning towards the end.

"The Beta title?" Jasper's eyes grow wide with happiness and I grin, nodding my head. "Sure, it's not as good as Alpha, but close enough."

"Good." I offer him a smile before continuing. "I hand the Beta title over to the wolf named Jasper Corb."

Immediately at my words, his aura strengthens and he grows more muscular. He throws me a wide smile, acting all giddy and happy. Just from his expression, I can tell that he's far from overjoyed.

My new Beta.

_______

Short but still a chapter nevertheless.

Just to let everyone know, I will not be updating next week. Next week is SPRING BREAK for me. As everyone should be quite aware, I'd like to spend the time as an actual vacation. Both because the tests and homework are already piling up and because sometimes you just want to have fun.

But I will say this, I may update one last day before Monday. Quite possibly on the weekend. It's a present for you all to kick off our break. Everyone knows we need this distraction.

HAPPY SPRING BREAK TO ALL THOSE WHO STILL HAVEN'T HAD IT OR IS CURRENTLY HAVING IT!!!

Comment down below what you want to see in the next chapter.

-Koalaz99