Chapter 37: Are You Really Even Her Mate?

Mason's POV

I sit there on a chair in the pack infirmary, my arms crossed over my chest. There in the room held Alpha Keagon along with Phoenix in the bed next to his. The doctors had said that it was best if they were close due to the mate bond. When a mate is hurt, the other mate being there helps them heal. But of course we couldn't have them in the same bed. If it were like that, they could accidentally hit or harm the other's injuries.

Well now here I was, acting like a creep as I stared at Keagon. I watch his eyes move under his eyelids and that's when I know that it's anytime now that he opens them. But unsurprisingly, he doesn't. In fact, he just speaks.

"You know, it's rude to stare. Hasn't your mother ever taught you better?" I suppress a string of curses and instead shrug as if he could see me. Just here to talk, I remind myself.

"Yeah, she has. Turns out I lack in that department." I mutter, rolling my eyes and looking at him.

"Tch." He's the first one to speak again. "So I see you're the new Alpha now." I reply to him with a yes. "'Bout damn time. But do you have any information about the people who kidnapped us?" His voice is of course strained and he sounds like someone is strangling him. Understandable taking into account that he just got up from a small coma.

"That's what I was gonna tell you when you woke up. But first, here's some water." No, I didn't be nice and get it specifically for him. The nurse came in, gave me it, then left. Very nice, I know.

He opens his eyes slowly and sits up. He of course winces but then he leans against the pillow. He reaches out for the cup of water and practically chugs it. Again, understandable. "Continue. Also, what happened to your ears and tail?" Keagon says before setting down the cup on the side table and nodding. His voice sounds better but is still slightly forced.

"Like I was saying, Jasper was the kidnapper. Before I continue, do not interrupt." With his jaw dropped, he nods. "When I became the Alpha, he was put on bed rest from our match. Since he was unable to move our offices, I did it for him. When I finished, I sat down at my desk and there was a note. It said something about checking the mail -I'll show it to you later. I did as it said and then I saw that Jasper was still logged in. I looked at it and he was communicating with a rouge Alpha. They made deals that lead to my ears and tail, Cleo and I's fight,  as well as your disappearance. Then he said he fell in love with me. Again, I'll show you all of this. In fact, he is right now in the cellars. But to answer your question about the ears and tail, it just sorta disappeared after I became Alpha."

"Wait so Jasper was the one behind all of this?" He asks, shocked. I nod. "I never pegged him for that type of person." He mutters, frowning to himself.

"Neither did I." I sigh, shaking my head.

"Wait if he loved you, why did he do that to you?" Keagon asks, completely perplexed.

"Well in the beginning, he was in love with Cleo. Then Jasper left us alone because he thought it was wrong since Cleo and I are mates. Then at some point in time he said 'fuck it' and started liking me."  I growl, not liking the idea that Jasper was doing this to me. He's exposed to be my friend, nothing more, nothing less. But the fact that he thinks I would leave my own mate for him? The hell?

"Man, what the actual hell is wrong with him? So I'm assuming you had him as your Beta when you became Alpha?" I nod my head. "Then...who's the Beta now?" I smile, nodding my head.

"Kieth. Hell, he's more than fit for the job. But there's two situations that I can't seem to figure out. You see, he still has a chance to find his mate. So I have no clue what to do with all the girls that are in the competition. Then I have to find out who should be my Gamma..." I trail off, sort of muttering to myself in the end. With so much going on, it's been real tough to focus on one thing.

"Well...Cleo's friend is still in the cellars, right? What if you know....you make him Gamma?"  My eyes practically bulge out of my sockets and I immediately death glare him. I know I shouldn't be mad at him, but I can't help it. I know that her friend just wants to be with her. I can feel it deep in my marrow. I just don't want some random dude from her past trying to tear us apart. It was hard enough trying to get to this point in my life with her and I don't want some one to mess that up. She's mine and that's it, no room for discussion.

"Well first off, how do you know about that?" I question him, narrowing my eyes. Because as far as I know, only Kieth and I know. I've been trying to keep it completely under wraps. But if Cleo hears of this, she'll be utterly devastated.

Keagon just sort of shrugs. "I have my ways."

I sigh and nod, not in the mood to fight. 

"But you know Mason..." I look back up to him questioningly. "This isn't coming from your sister's mate. This is coming from simply a friend. And I most certainly am not trying to target you in any way, shape, or form." I nod for him to continue.

"From a friend to another, you shouldn't keep your mate away from her best friend. That just isn't something you should do. Listen, I don't know her past with him but what I do know, is that you can't judge him before you know him. And I know you're thinking 'Oh well I don't want him to ruin what Cleo and I have' well, he won't ruin it. Because you want to know what? It's like an unspoken rule. The rule that you should always be happy for your best friend. If he is really her best friend, he won't get in the way of you two. If that didn't convince you, let me tell you this. All you're doing by keeping him locked away is hurting your mate. All you're doing is hurting her, you hear me? Doing this them is only hurting both of them. Do you want your mate to be depressed? Because that sure as hell is happening." Keagon gives me a pointed look and I sigh.

"I know what you mean. I'm being incredibly selfish and I know it. It's just the thought of him liking her, that I don't like. I hate the thought that he might stand a chance." I look down, full of sorrow.

"Well guess what. You guys are mates! So even if he tried his damned best, it won't work! Because you two have something that Cleo and him don't. An actual bond! The Moon Goddess above placed you two together. Not them two. If he went against you two, he would as well be going against the Goddess. Every angle that you look at it from, it never leads to them actually having a relationship. Only a friendship at most. But please Mason, understand this. I've been down that road like Cleo is in right now. You simply just can't keep them apart. With her having no family members that we know of even alive, it's like you're killing off her brother. All she has is you, Mason. You want to know what she's doing right now? She's trying to push back her past, whatever it could be. But that's not healthy. Not at all. She doesn't have anyone else. No one else. Can you imagine how lonely that must be?"

I look up at him.

"You want to know something? Right now, she's running from her past. Cleo is pushing that back so she doesn't have to feel anything. But it's not working. If not, it's only hurting. It's lonely for her right now because she only has you. Just think about it, okay? Sure, there might be a few bumps on the road, but it's worth it. The choice is yours. A free life of just you and Cleo alone. You not being scared of losing her. But she is in loads of pain and depression because she has no one else. OR... you can have just a little bit of jealousy and your mate will be the happiest she has ever been since the day you met her." He looks at me dead in the eyes and continues. "If you ever chose the first option, are you even truely her mate?"