Chapter Thirty

I just came from the shower when someone knock at my door. Everyone who wants to talk to me presses the button outside so I could hear the bell ring. And no one knocks on it except her.

Binuksan ko ang pinto at bumungad sa'kin ang nakataas-kilay na si Gesa. We stared at each other for a moment but she pulled it away. Nilawakan ko ang awang ng pinto upang papasukin siya. I turned around to sat on my bed when I heard the door locked. Napatingin ako doon at nakitang nasa loob na siya ng aking silid.

"You didn't tell me you're coming home.", pagsisimula ni Gesa sa usapan. I looked away, pretending I am drying my wet hair with my towel. Paano ko sasabihin sa kanya ang ginawa sa'kin ni Theron? Shall I tell her? But that doesn't change a thing. Sabihin ko man sa kanya o hindi, I am going to stay here. I guess I need to keep it as a secret. Not unless, Theron explains it to me why the hell he made that stunt.

"I guess, you already killed the Alpha because you're already here?", tanong nito sa'kin. She's trying to open up a conversation with me, but I just don't know how to respond. Not now that my mind is battling over going to meet Marcus or staying in bed. And besides, I know that she knows I am not yet done with my mission, because if I am, she will be the first one to know it.

Ngunit dahil wala akong naipapasang impormasyon sa kanya ay inaasahan kong magtataka ito kung bakit ako nakauwi ng walang napapatay na Alpha.

"Tell me, Gabriel. What is really happening with you?", halos pasigaw ang naging tono nito sa'kin. Napalingon ako sa kanya ng nakakunot ang noo.

"No one ever dares to shout at me.", I reminded her using a cold voice.

"And no one ever dared to ditch me in a mission, too! You didn't update me for couple of days! Tapos uuwi ka ng walang abiso! Do you know what exactly is happening to Winston?", mahabang sagot nito sa'kin. I remained as calm as I can. I must tell her, of course she has the right to know what am I doing, at bakit hindi ko pa nagagawa ang misyon ko. But there are things that should be kept as a secret. There are things that will be better if it is only a secret.

"I realized I can't kill the Alpha of Winston.", I shortly answered her as I went inside the bathroom to hang my towel. Nang lumabas ako ay nandoon parin ito at nakakunot-noong naghihintay sa'kin. She's on her usual attire, but her attitude right now doesn't scream Intelligence Head. At this time, I can see her as my nagging and loud cousin who loves to interrupt my mind.

"Kung ganoon ay bakit gusto kang ipabalik ni Chief sa lugar na iyon?", tanong nito sa'kin. Ako ang sumunod na naguluhan  sa kanyang sinabi.

"See? You don't know what's happening to Winston. Ano ba talagang nangyayari?", tanong ulit nito sa'kin. Instead of answering her interrogative question, I ran to my desk and grab my phone. Idinial ko ang numero ni Karleen. Ilang segundo pa lang itong tumunog ngunit agad nasagot. I was expecting it was Karleen but when I heard his voice, I definitely ran out of words to say.

"Dianne...", he softly called me. He still call me as Dianne. Kahit na alam niyang isang pagpapanggap ang pangalan na iyon ay binalewala niya ito. But I wonder if his voice will remain soft when he will find out I am the Assassin he despise the most?

"Dianne, where are you? I've been searching the whole Winston but I can't see you!", his voice became louder, like it is more on frustration and exasperation. Napatingin ako kay Gesa ay nakitang naguguluhan ito sa maaaring narinig. I walked a few steps from her, enough for her not to hear Duke's voice from the phone.

"I'm at... my home.", those words came out like a forced chewed bitter gourd. Telling him that I am home makes me feel sick, well in fact, I am longing for his presence - the one I called home these past few months.

"You won't come back?", his voice changed. And I can't help but to sense a slight desperation on it. I breathed out air from my lungs. I spent the whole day roaming around the Headquarters and the training grounds where I usually worn out my time during childhood years. I was trying to remind myself that I am the Assassin, that I am a hunter, most of all, a hunter of Trevino Clan. Maybe that's why Theron forced me to go back in here, because I am losing track of my sight.

"Of course, I will come back.", I almost whispered it.

But every step I make on the ground, every student I see spending their time to improve their hunting skills, Duke's name always pop in my head. His smell always linger on my nose. His hands, and the way his body feels when I touch it, it always oppose my philosophy.

Now, I am torn between killing him and running away from my responsibilities.

The alarm on my desk rang. It was the time Marcus has pleaded me to meet him at the tower.

"Kailangan ko ng umalis. Maybe I will call you some other time.", I told Duke. I hear how he exhaled a deep breath. I could almost see him closing his eyes and position his fingers between his creased brows. I shut my mind out of it. Hindi ko na hinintay ang kanyang pagsagot doon. I ended the call and returned to where I left Gesa.

Nakita ko siyang nakaupo sa sofa. There's a slight accusation on her eyes. I waited for her words but nothing came out. Dumeretso ako sa cabinet upang kumuha ng hoodie. I am pretty sure it is chilling outside, most especially at the tower. I made sure the hoodie is enough to warm me. This talk will be long, I am sure of it.

Nang mapusod ang aking buhok ay muli akong humarap sa salamin. I stared at my reflection. I stare at my brown eyes just like how my Mom stared at it when I was little. She would always say that I got my eyes from her mother which happen to be my Grandma. I've never seen her picture but I guess it was true since Mom always remind me that thing.

"Where are you going?", tanong ni Gesa sa'kin. Lumingon ako sa kanya at halata sa kanyang ekspresyon ang pagdududa. I had the chance to scan her face. There were dark circles developing below her eyes, probably because of the lack of sleep she gets from her demanding work. Nonetheless, her face is gentle and angelic. At first glance, I can't label her as a daughter of Trevino Clan's former chief. She looks like a normal teenage girl. But as they always say, looks can be deceiving.

"I am going to meet Marcus.", paliwanag ko sa kanya at dumeretso sa pintuan. I guess I still need to share things with her. Kung hindi ay baka sasabog na ako sa dami ng inililihim ko sa kanya. I am not fond of hiding things from her. It isn't a bad move anyway. She's still my cousin. Maybe my perceptions and philosophy change but the connection in our blood doesn't.