Chapter 1 Racey much?

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. My alarm managed to screech in my ear until I fumbled enough with my phone to turn the sound off. I groaned and cursed out my roommate for not turning the heat on before she left for class. It was fricking freezing. My toes lightly skimmed the floor before I jumped off of my bed and headed to the bathroom to get ready. It was a Friday (thank god) and the last day of classes before a much needed weekend. I was a student at the “prestigious” school of UC Berkley and it was my junior year. I had finally managed to scrape enough money by interning at the local vet office to rent an apartment with my best friend and roommate Alicia. We were the team nobody messed with. Or rather nobody bothered with.

Alicia: English professor must be PMSing, just ditch. It’s not worth the pain. The text read on my phone and I buried my face in my pillow.

I snickered at Alicia’s expense and put on my makeup. Light foundation and eyeliner were my best friends every day. I dragged my feet to my closet and threw on jeans, tall riding boots, and my Berkley sweatshirt. I ran my brush through my hair a couple of times and decided it was enough. I mean these people never really gave a shit anyway, right? I thanked Alicia silently when I saw she had made coffee instead of doing her normal coffee shop routine where she was convinced she would land the cute barista. I poured a cup of it in my traveler mug, grabbed my bag and walked out.

 It was about a ten minute drive to the school from our small apartment so I could mosey along there with ease. I had a 2006 Honda Civic and it was a fairly normal car. Except when I had first bought it right after high school, my dad insisted he had the boys put a race car engine in the car. And I wasn’t complaining, I mean who refuses a Mob leader’s attempts to put a better engine in their car? Not his daughter; that’s for sure. The mafia was a true family secret since my dad liked the idea of a normal life for me; even though I could kick anyone’s ass. REALLY kick anyone’s ass. I would have my trainer on the floor in seconds.  The only people that were aware of it were Alicia and Becca and that is only because I had invited them my freshmen year to Thanksgiving with us. It was interesting.

 I hopped in and turned on the alternative music station the school sponsored and decided to test the speed on the little car like I did almost every day.

I revved up the engine and smiled as I felt the power beneath my feet. I drove out calmly at first and then at the stoplight, I stepped on the gas; making the car fly without hesitation. I smiled to myself as I drove until I saw a fairly nice black Camaro beside me. Scratch that, it was gorgeous and obviously a new model. A rather cute guy was driving it with loose dirty blonde hair and a sparkle in his piercing green eyes that smirked at me. That idiot didn’t know what was coming. He sped up past me and it was so tempting to take the opportunity. I was already going twenty over the speed limit, I should stop before I got an even worse ticket. Wrong.

I pushed my foot down harder on the gas and watched as I was right beside him again. His eyes bugged out of his head and this time I smirked at him. He began to laugh and speed past me. I hadn’t been paying attention to the road when a stoplight came and was quickly turning from yellow to red. He sped through it, managing to flip me off from his open window and I cursed as I slammed on the brakes. Feeling a jolt as I was shoved back by my seat belt. My tires barely stopping over the white lines. Fuck. I was going to need new tires AND brakes with the amount of rubber I smelt from my burning tires.