Chapter 18 The Drug Cartel

All I could remember was Drew and Sam rushing over to me and helping me to the couch. It was all fuzzy as I heard Alicia yell “OHMYFUCKINGGOD” over and over in the kitchen and Becca talking on the phone and saying the word “Kyle”. I had been sitting staring at the floor in utter shock for a while before I felt warm hands slide around my waist.

 I instantly jolted back and struck at the intruder to see Kyle spouting a bloody nose. I could hear him curse under his breath as he walked away to get a paper towel and return to my side; making his presence known before his hands moved to my waist again. He held me against him as he pressed the napkin to his nose and I instantly felt safe in his arms, relaxing into his hard chest.

“What the hell! Who would photo shop those pictures, this is awful!” Drew was yelling and I could see Alicia sighing out of the corner of my eye as everyone sat in the living room.

“Drew, they didn’t photo shop them, they took the pictures.” Becca drawled lifelessly while I tucked my feet underneath me, watching him with concern.

“Someone please explain to me why Marina is shooting people!” Drew shouted and Alicia shot him a look before dragging him out of the room.

“But why would they give you those pictures? Why not turn them into the police and have her busted. Why go through the effort of giving them to her?” Sam asked as he paced in front of the TV with tensed muscles and a furrowed brow.

“Because they would get busted as well and that’s not what they want. They want her to know she has a threat and she should feel terrified. I have a feeling if he went to the police to show the pictures, they would arrest him probably for whoever he is. Someone who does this sort of shit does not have a clean record,” Kyle explained as Becca sighed.

“Why would they send a welcome home card? They are obviously up here in Northern California right?” Becca asked and Sam gave her an annoyed look as if her stupidity was worse than a chicken’s. 

“The fact that Marina is about to take over the world’s biggest mob organization, doesn’t help her. She’s about to encounter a ton of enemies in a short amount of time and people want her job. God only knows why they do, but they do.” Kyle explained and I nodded with him. It was true, my head was about to become a lot more valuable. Alicia re-emerged from her bedroom at that moment and stood in the center of the living room with a hand on her hip; she looked as dramatic as a teenaged girl with an epiphany in a horror movie.

“We need to call her Dad, enough is enough. He can come here by tomorrow morning,” Alicia said picking up her phone.

I wanted to argue it, I truly did. But what was the point? He would just get angry later on if I failed to adhere to his rules.

“Hello…Yes Mr. Baracada… This is Alicia Morgan, Marina’s roommate… Um, we have a bit of a problem over here…” She said while walking into the kitchen. Drew chose that moment to walk out of Alicia’s bedroom, as pale as a ghost.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked as he stood in the center of the living room.

I opened my mouth to say something to him, but ended up opening and closing it in thought, like a gaping fish out of water. He sighed before he turned around and walked out of the door.

I nuzzled closer to Kyle as I felt a small tear escape my eye and he rubbed my back in circles, attempting to smooth me.

“He’ll be here in two hours max… Where did Drew go?” Alicia asked puzzled and Becca pointed to the door as she sat in thought. Alicia grimaced before sitting on the floor beside Becca and looked up at me.

“We can’t leave you alone Mar. I think we should go down south with you,” Becca said and Sam looked over at her.

“How the hell would you make a difference? No offense, but you two can’t do shit,” Sam said. Becca threw a glare at him and he shrugged in defeat, “It’s the truth baby,” he mumbled in defeat.