Extra Chapter #1

*Roughly four years after Shorty*

Imogen's POV

"Eight years old, huh?"

Aiden shrugged, not all that interested in his cake or his presents. He had this crazy idea that his mom had forgotten his birthday. No matter how many times his dad told him it wasn't true he refused to smile or even speak.

"Aiden, please know that I'm sorry your mom isn't here right now but you haven't eaten all day, honey. You have to eat something."

"Imogen, for the love of God, stop coddling him," Kyle groaned. He turned to Aiden. "Do you do this when I miss your birthdays?"

Aiden finally shook his head. "No. 'Cause I'm used to it."

Kyle retreated as if Aiden had just burned him. I knew Aiden was feeling a certain type of way but that was a low blow. Though he looked angry I knew Kyle was hurt by Aiden's words. "Aiden, that was uncalled for."

"No, it's fine. If he wants to be that way and doesn't want to eat that's fine with me. He can go up to his room for now."

Aiden didn't need to be told twice. He got up and made a run for the stairs leaving Kyle and I in the kitchen. From here I knew we would argue. We always argued about how we should deal with Aiden's unpredictable behavior. 

"Kyle..."

"How many times do I have to tell you, Imogen? I can handle Aiden by myself."

I shook my head. "We are in this together whether you like it or not."

He sighed. "Okay, look, I know we're in this together but you treat him like a baby, Imogen. He doesn't act like a baby so he shouldn't be treated like one."

Kyle believed in tough love and I saw where he was coming from. Being raised by his brother may have had something to with it but from what I saw he was just copying Wyatt's actions. "I can't do this with you right now."

"Imogen, please don't walk away from me. I know I was hard on him. But man, I wish he wouldn't say such hurtful things."

"Can you promise to let me help you next time."

He nodded. "I just wish you weren't so sure there's going to be a next time."