Chapter 10

He's a newborn infant in his mother's arms in the hospital, only a few hours old, yet I fall in love the moment I look into those deep chocolate brown eyes. His mother strokes his cheek with a finger as the baby boy looks around with unfocused eyes. I love this boy, he is my life. He is mine.

"What will you name him?" A man asks, only I cannot take my eyes off the baby. I know what he will be named.

**

The boy is five years old on a bike with tricycles, struggling to pump his little legs and get the contraption moving as it wobbles from tricycle wheel to the other. The older boys, around seven and eight, make fun of the boy for still needing tricycles. The boy is strong though and pumps his little legs with a determined look in his eye.

The laughing boys all stop laughing as a pretty brunette stomps over to them in the street, she is ten and older than the bullies. The leader of the boys tries to look tough, but even I can tell he is fighting not too wet his pants.

"You leave my brother alone, what right do you have to laugh at him? We all have to start somewhere, and he just got that bike a week ago. You boys are all older and I bet you all had to use tricycles when you first got on a bike, so you better leave my brother alone or you'll never ride again!" The girl threatens.

I like this girl very much.

**

The boy is fifteen and struggling to fit in with the other freshmen. He is a scrawny boy with barley anything on him, just skin and bone. The other freshmen and older children snicker at him as he passes them in the hallways. I want to kick all their asses for making him feel terrible about his body. His body is perfect.

The boy walks past a particularly pretty girl who smiles at him. She looks sweet and innocent but I know she's not. My instinct is telling me not to trust her. I wish with everything in me that I could warn the boy of the girl.

"Hey, X, how was your weekend?" The girl asks as she plays with her blonde hair that rests on her shoulder.

"I told you not to call me that, my father calls me that," The boy mumbles as he unlocks the locker next to the girl.

"Oh come on, X, it's a cool name," The girl says with that innocent smile. "Besides, I'm nothing like your father,"

"I hope not," The boy shudders before pulling out some books.

The girl's smile widens. "I promise I'm nothing like him,"

The boy looks at the girl and cracks a small smile. "Okay,"

They start to walk, the girl blabbing about an upcoming party she was going to attend. I want to cry out as I see the older student coming towards the boy with a devious smirk on his face. This is not good. Not good at all.

I can't warn the boy, I can't do anything but watch as the older student knocks the boys books right out of his hands and then yanks his hood up onto his head so he can't see and trips over the boys extended foot. The innocent looking girl smirks and snickers along with everyone else before giving the bully a thumbs up. Then she changes her looks to a mad one and starts to yell.

"Get lost, Michael!" She shouts before helping the boy up and pulling his hood off his head. "Are you okay, X?"

"I'm fine," The boy says as he pulls away from the girl and then picks up his books. "What would I do without you?" He whispers as they walk away.

**

The boy is still fifteen, the last two weeks of school. He is happy that school is almost over, but a big part of him is not happy for summer vacation. Summer vacation means he has to get a job to support his family. Summer vacation meant another summer his father is missing. Another summer vacation doing odd jobs on the side of his McDonalds position. Another summer vacation he wishes he could be somewhere else.