Chapter 17

I look at the sky with wide eyes, how long have we been out here in The sun is already going down, painting the sky pretty shades of orange, pink, blue, and purples. Currently, Micah and I have our feet dipped into the clear blue water, the wide waterfall still as silent and calm as ever. Well, Micah has one foot dipped into the warm water, his prosthetic was pulled off and set aside so it didn't get wet, because according to Micah, it's worse than wearing wet socks.

"Hey, look at that," Micah says and points to the waterfall. I look to where he is pointing and smile.

The sun in reflecting perfectly in the water, causing it to shimmer and shine. The colors of the sunset even seem to reflect into the water beautifully. Now this is paradis caché.

We watch the sun go down quickly, the light colors of the sunset darkening before fading all together. We managed to talk all day as we snacked on freshly picked berries. That's the beautiful thing about Micah, he is so easy to talk to and listen to that we can literally talk for hours and lose track of time.

We talked about a lot of things though, like more about being in a pack and how everyone has an important role in order for the pack to function properly. We talked about my dad before he died and how we used to make mom breakfast in bed every Sunday morning. We talked about stories me and Abram had growing up, like the time we came home covered in mud because we were pretending to be pigs on a farm.

We talked a lot about Micah's mom and sister. I had already seen his entire life in my dreams when I was poisoned, but it still felt new when Micah was telling the stories. He told me about the time he got stung by a honey bee and then he and his sister scooped out a jar full of honey from the hive once they shooed all the rest of the bees away; Micah called it justice for getting stung when all they were doing was innocently passing by the hive.

I like hearing about Micah's life told from his own perspective instead of seeing it; I only saw his life from the side. To me, Micah was a happy child, despite having a lying and cheating father and being poor. Up until high school, Micah was happy, but once he hit high school he became distant from everyone around him, I don't blame him though, he didn't have any friends. Micah even told me the same, how he was a happy child until he hit high school and learned the truth about the world and people.

I wish I could have known Micah when he was in high school. I would have most definitely been his friend. Although, he would have been a senior when I was a freshman, but whatever, I could have been his friend his entire senior year. Sigh, if only. That's okay, though, because I get to keep him for the rest of our lives. I only wish he had a friend in those rough high school years.

"Hey, mom made us dinner, so you wanna go?" I ask as I nudge him in the shoulder with my own.

"Sure, I think I need something other than berries,"

I laugh as we pull away from the water and he straps his prosthetic back on. It amazes me how easy it is to get on, and Micah can get in on in under twenty seconds. I pull my shoes on as he pulls his on and then I help him to his feet. He doesn't have trouble getting up off the ground, but I really like to help him, plus, it gives me an excuse to touch him.

"You were right to call this a hidden paradise, and I see why it's your favorite place," He says as we head for the vine entrance.

"My second favorite place," I correct. "And yeah, I thought it was fitting too, but I didn't name it that until I was like twelve,"

"Thank you for bringing me," He says as he grabs my hand and pulls me closer.

I smile and stop walking, Micah stops as well so I wrap my free hand around his neck and kiss him. Micah responds immediately which only makes my heart soar. I keep the kiss PG though because otherwise I might want to do other things in paradis caché. Although, now that I think of it, doing something naughty with Micah would definitely be paradise, so perhaps we should deepen the kiss. No, we still have to go on our picnic, so I'll have to put paradise on hold until at least tomorrow.