Chapter 28

Micah and I paint the porch as more people show up. A few men even show up to help trim the dead branches off the trees that was on my list. I think it was really funny that Bretton didn't start to help until the men started showing up. He still didn't do much but he did get off his butt and made it look like he was contributing.

"I think the whole town is here," Micah mutters as paint falls onto his pant leg. He glares at the paint splotch before looking back out into the completely filled yard.

Kids run around the yard, others playing ball, some playing tag, others lounging in the hot sun, everyone has someone to talk to and someone took the liberty of turning on a radio. I don't understand how anyone would want to be out in this ninety-eight-degree muggy weather. I guess it's different for them though because most of them were born and raised in this weather. Me on the other hand, I prefer my temp to be cooler, which is why I love the winter in Minneapolis. My body temperature is hotter than normal too, which doesn't mix well with this heat.

"If they start bringing out sparklers and grilling I'm calling it quits," I mutter.

Micah laughs. "I think grilling sounds fun,"

I raise a brow at him. "You grew up with this kind of thing, where the community gets together and does activities. I didn't grow up that way,"

"But you do have a community," He says. "Doesn't your pack do things together?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Not really. We celebrate on Christmas and New Year's together, we also have a pack Hunting on Thanksgiving where we hunt for most of the food we eat. Other than that, not really,"

"Really? I thought your pack would be closer than that, you know, do things like this," He says as he gestures at the crowded yard.

I shake my head. "No, other packs maybe, but not ours,"

"Weird," He mutters.

"Hey Micah," Both our heads lift at the sound of his name.

A man around Micah's age stands on the other side of the railing. His hair a bleached blonde with a fringe covering his left eye, the eye that is visible is a light shade of green. I start to glare at him as I register the emotion he is giving off. The emotion of want.

Micah must have sensed my own emotions because he knocks his good knee into mine in our sitting position on the porch. I look at him to find him looking curiously at the person.

"Be nice," He warns me over the link.

"I didn't even say anything,"

"But I knew you were going to," He knocks his good knee into mine again. "I'm sorry, but I'm blanking on who you are," He says to the white-haired man.

The man glances at me before looking back at Micah. "I'm Tyson, we were in senior English together,"

Micah furrows his eyebrows. "We were?"

I snicker and turn my face so the Tyson guy can't see it.

"Uhm, yeah, I sat in the back," Tyson mutters. He glances at me again before looking back to Micah, the emotion of jealously coming off him in strong waves. "Uhm, how was the Marines?"

"Uh, good," Micah replies. "Why is he talking to me?" He asks me over our link.

I smirk at him but he doesn't look at me. "Because he likes you, you sexy man,"

Micah's eyes snap to me. "No he doesn't,"

I raise an eyebrow. "Oh yes he does,"

"He can't, I'm with you,"