Chapter 4

Friday. One more day to get through. I needed to get it over with and run home. Hopefully Alexa won't see me. I don't think I need to see her laughing right now. Nightmares suck and unfortunately, I have to deal with them all the time.

I sat next to Shawn, glad I made it to my first class safe.

"Hey what's wrong? You look like you've been up all night." Shawn says. "Oh thanks that really gives me confidence in the way I look" I say sarcastically. I felt bad for giving him attitude. Shawn was so sweet and I know he didn't mean it, but I had a rough night and my mornings don't need to be any worse.

"I'm sorry," Shawn says, "Where were you during math yesterday?"

I couldn't tell him I skipped.

But I didn't want to be rude to him again, either.

"My brother was sick and my dad asked me to come home and take care of him while he bought his medicine." I lied.

It wasn't Shawn's business to know anyway.

"Oh okay. Well, hey, if you ever need to talk I'm here for you." He smiled as he slipped his number into my bag. "Thanks. I appreciate it."

The rest of the day I seriously considered calling Shawn after school. It would be nice to have a friend who wouldn't push you into anything you didnt want to do. It's not like he would try anything on me, anyway. I made that clear to him freshman year. I wanted no more than a friendship.

Alexa was in my last class, history, but I was able to avoid her by making conversation with Katarina, a quiet girl who sits next to me. I felt sorry for her having to deal with me. I knew she felt uncomfortable with me talking to her, but I only needed it to last a few minutes until class started.

15 minutes into class there was a knock on the door. As Ms. Wentz was distracted, I knew Alexa would try to sneak over to me. Half the class got up to talk to their friends, including Katarina, obviously just trying to avoid me.

Oh that's nice.

Alexa sat down in Katarina's now empty seat.

Here we go.

"Oh my freakin' gosh Eliza where the hell have you been? Where'd you even go yesterday? Taylor said Jack brought you upstairs but neither of you were there. Jack didn't even show up again after that."

Like she even noticed I was gone.

Wait Jack didn't go back to Sam's backyard? Should I even tell her the truth?

Before I could answer her, I was distracted by the same brown eyes from my restless night in the corner of my vision. I turned to get a better look. Alexa noticed this, too, as she turned with me. Both of us were staring at the senior who stared back directly at me, with zero expression.

He was standing at the doorway talking to my teacher. When she was distracted with the papers he handed her, he would stare back at me.

It was just a dream. He doesn't want to hurt you. If he did he would've during your 20 minute walk when no one was around.

---

After the last bell, I decided to call Shawn. I added the new number to my contacts and dialed. While it rang, I exited the school hoping he was already outside.

"Hello? Eliza?" He answered.

"Hey, Shawn do you think we could like, hang out, I mean, you don't have to if--"

"No, no, I mean, yeah we can hang out," he cut me off, "Where to?"

Crap. I didnt think this through. Where were we supposed to go?