Chapter 22

Thank you so much for 20k reads! Just a few chapters ago I was thanking you for 5k, that's freaking amazing.

Also can you guys comment some good fanfics or maybe just stories in general? I need more in my library. Thanks!

--

"You know, you really didn't have to buy anything for him" Matt told me as we walked up to his cousin's door.

"Don't be silly, I'm not just gonna show up to a year old's birthday party without anything." I smiled to hide my nervousness and Matt chuckled.

After he rang the doorbell a teenage girl wearing a loose black shirt, a gold necklace, skinny jeans, and flats opened the door as the corners of her mouth lifted up, revealing her teeth. This was definitely the girl in Jack's picture.

My heart raced and my eyes widened.

Oh my g--

I'm at Jack's baby's birthday party.

Not so strange considering all these past events lately.

All I could think of looking at her was everything Jack had probably put her through. I really ached for her.

She was gorgeous. Her light brown hair and wide smile really complimented her looks.

She threw her arms around Matt and he hugged her back.

"Hey! So this is Eliza?" She asked while looking at me.

"Yup, that's her." Matt replied.

She greeted me with a smile, "Oh, hi I'm Emily, nice to meet you."

Frick.

"Hi, thanks it's nice to meet you too" I said politely.

I entered the large house awkwardly and Matt introduced me to a few of his relatives and he hugged each one of them keeping a large smile glued to his face.

Why can't I smile as much as he does?

We walked to the end of the living room with more people of our age. A bunch of unfamiliar teenage girls adored the small, giggling child that was being carried by a girl with dirty blonde hair. I finally noticed the little details about his face passed down from Jack.

Matt and I set down our presents with the others in a large corner of the room. Sweaty children raced throughout the house, screaming and making noise.

I waited anxiously the whole party. I knew I would soon have to ask her about Jack. Whether it is or isn't a good idea, I wouldn't be able to help myself. Although, I needed a time when there wasn't a pile of running kids and Matt's relatives anywhere near me and Emily. I didn't know whether or not I was relieved Jack wasn't here. My heart would race each time the doorbell sounded.

After singing Happy Birthday to Jacob, Matt and I headed down to the basement to help Emily bring up the goodie bags for the little ones. "I get one of these too, right?" Matt joked to Emily.

"Very funny."

"Awh, come on Ems. These things are freaking sweet, look they got a paddle ball, toy cars, skittles, snickers, come on you know those are my favorite." Matt begged while poking through several of the bags.

"God, grow up Matt" she laughed, lightly hitting his shoulder.

Each of us lifted a box full of the bags of treats upstairs and handed them out as the kids shared and traded their candy.

Once their family members started saying their goodbyes and walking out the door, the living room only included me, Matt, Emily, and her baby, Jacob. Emily's parents had went to drop off her grandparents.

-

"Oh my gosh, no way."

"It's true! When we were at the beach when we were little Matt legit grabbed onto another woman's leg thinking it was his mom!" Emily threw her head back in laughter.

"Literally, funniest thing ever! The poor lady stood there uncomfortable as ever while Matt was freaking attached to her!" She continued.

"Ha-ha, really now, you might as well send each person in the neighborhood a copy of my embarassing childhood moments all in a book." Matt said in a sarcastically.

Emily rolled her eyes, "He also lost his bathing suit in the water later that day." She quickly added.

"EMILY!" Matt yelled. Emily and I continued laughing. I swear, I saw tears coming out of her eyes because of how she was laughing uncontrollably. Even Jacob started to giggle along. I can see where he got his happiness from.

I loved how bubbly and sweet she was considering Jack had probably broke her into bits and pieces when he called their relationship off. My heart ached for the little boy who might have to grow up knowing his father left his mom because he was "bored" with her.

Matt attempted to get back at her by saying, "Well, you know Emily tripped in the staircase when we were at church one time?" He burst out laughing which caused me to flinch while me and Emily stared at him with blank faces and she raised her eyebrows.

His laugh faded once he realized he had failed miserably. "Aw forget it." He threw a toy car on the ground like a child and plopped on the couch.

Emily took the phone out of her pocket to check it once again for what seemed to be like the fifth time this minute.

"Hey why do you keep checking your phone? You've been doing that all night." Matt pointed out.

"What? A girl can't check for texts?" Emily said a little uncomfortably.

All of a sudden the doorbell rang. "I'll get it since I know Matt is a lazyass" Emily smirked playfully.

"Hey! Ya lyin', that's only true on Mondays!" Matt called out.

"Yeah yeah" Emily answered walking down the hall to the door.

"So, now it's your turn to confess an embarassing moment, Eliza." Matt grinned.

"Hah, no thanks" I answered. The fact that he thought I would've revealed any of those times to him made me laugh.

I stood up and wandered around Emily's living room poking through small objects on the table. Suddenly, my finger rubbed upon a small glossy photo.

Jack sat on the hospital bed with his newborn son in his arms. He was smiling at him. I've maybe seen him only one time where he was as happy as he looked in the photo. I stared at the picture until a voice startled me, causing me to drop the picture.

"Eliza?! What the hell?!" Jack yelled in surprise.

**Please vote & comment if you liked the chapter it would mean a lot! Keep voting guys :)**

-- Sorry, I've been busy lately so I probably can't update until June when school's over. I'll try my best to update before that, though. Keep voting! Thanks <3 --

#UnsureJG on Twitter