Chapter 7

My eyes stared up at the ceiling while Jack went downstairs to get me a glass of water.

My mind filled with questions to where this was going. Was he only acting like this for today or will he actually bother to talk to me during school, too?

The thoughts in my head were interrupted as he walked into the room. He lifted the cup toward my mouth for me to take a sip as I sat up on the bed.

"Feelin' better?" He asked.

I nodded 'yes' and decided to take this time to finally ask him about Sam.

"Why were you at the park tonight?" I asked.

"Uh, well, I was with Sam, Alexa, and the guys at Nash's place," he started, "we were in the living room while Sam and Alexa were in the backyard. Later on we started hearing yelling and them cursing eachother out, it was crazy. Alexa stormed out and Sam went after her as if he was about to attack her, so me and Cameron raced out looking for them. You can't trust what Sam does when he's angry. He would do anything to hurt anyone, especially Alexa, if he was pissed."

While Jack was talking, I realized I was never that close to Alexa at all. She never told me about her problems with Sam, she always described their relationship as if they were getting married the next day.

Jack continued, "That's when I saw him at the park. I heard muffled screams and I thought it was Alexa. When I ran over and I saw you crushed against the wall, topless, and I knew he was only taking his anger out on you, and hurting Alexa at the same time if she found out what was happening. I couldn't take it, so I threw him down the second I saw you two."

Everything he said that came after, "I thought it was Alexa," sounded muffled, but I was able to make out his words.

Did that mean he would he have done the same thing for her?

Would she be in my position right now if Jack had found her with him, or even found her at all?

My heart sank at the thought, but after a few seconds guilt hit me like a truck. I was being selfish. My best friend could be off somewhere, broken, and I'm worrying on whether or not the boy in front of me cares about her as much as he cares about me.. if he even cares about me at all.

Our conversation about Sam had ended with Jack warning me to be careful around him, and that I have no idea what he's capable of, which honestly just reminded me of Mean Girls, a movie I watched with Alexa and her friend, Mallory, at a sleepover. I bit my tongue hard to prevent myself from laughing right in front of him.

Jack's phone lockscreen lighted up, showing that it was just past 2 a.m.

"Okay, you need to get some sleep." Jack told me as he walked over to turn off the lights. He pulled out sheets from a closet and set them on the floor beside the bed I was currently laying on.

"You're sleeping on the floor?" I asked.

"Well yeah, there's only one bed. I don't want you to feel like I'm taking advantage of you."

My eyes slowly shut thinking about his answer.

I guess he's really not like Sam.

My brain drifted off into a deep sleep.

-----

"Daddy where are we going?" I asked my dad as we were driving. I sat next to my year old baby brother in the backseat, my arms clicking on the seatbelt.

"We're going to find your mother." He answered.

"But mommy's dead." I said.. Didn't he hear what the doctor said on the phone?

After 10 minutes of driving around, I saw tears fill my dad's eyes in the car's mirror. He turns back at me and Elliot and says, "I love you guys."

The car felt as if we were going at the speed of light, I could barely hear myself screaming. My dad's hands weren't on the wheel.

My heart raced as Elliot wailed, Daddy's hands were covering his tear-filled face.

Why is he doing this? I asked myself with my eyes stinging.

Our car skidded off to the side of the road, a ditch right below.

My own scream had scared myself. I sat up with my hands massaging my head.

"Eliza?! Are you alright?!" Jack's panicked expression was beside me in a split second as held onto me the way he did earlier.

I sobbed into his shoulder as he comforted me. "Shh, It was just a dream, it's okay. It's not real."

It took me about five minutes to pull myself together. "Okay, I'm fine," I stated as I wiped the remaining tears away.

"You can tell me anything, Eliza. You can trust me, I need you to know that."

I stared at his sincere eyes, which were also locked on mine.

I hesitated as I started off, "It was my dad.. Me and my brother in the car after my mom died.. He drove us into a ditch." My lip quivered at the thought. "He couldn't live without her, Jack. Even if he still had me and my brother." My eyes stung just like it did in my dream.

"Listen, it was just a nightmare. Okay? Your dad is still here, he's still with you. Nothing like that would ever happen. I wouldn't let anything hurt you."

He caressed my cheek and started to stand up from the bed before I grabbed his wrist. "Stay, please?" I pleaded.

He nodded and we laid down face to face. Despite the bruises and scars, his face was perfect. I rested my head on his chest and one arm around his stomach as I fell back asleep.

**please vote if you liked this chapter thanks :)**

#UnsureJG on Twitter