Chapter Twelve

"If you ever feel alone, don't. You were never on your own."

- One Direction, Don't Forget Where You Belong

:~:~:

Gretchen's POV

I walked around the two body bags with an eerie feeling surrounding me. I didn't cry for them though, but I was thinking that I was such an idiot for running away like a coward. I should've been there for Megan, especially when she needed me most. But worst of all, I was such a dumb girl to ditch my sweet Alexandra on her.

At seventeen, what else would I have been thinking of rather than giving birth to a baby, instead of killing it, and giving it to my oldest sister?

I couldn't help feeling like it was my fault, even though that happened almost another life time ago. It has been almost eighteen years or so since then.

As I walked away from the site, I saw a girl crouching on the ground... crying.

Her hair looked so much like... mine, unless it was dyed and was purposely wavy.

I didn't want to scare her or anything, so I just called out, "Girl! Girl! What are you doing?"

She looked up at me with red eyes and a puffy flushed face. My heart stopped. Was it... No, it couldn't be her. No.

"M-Mom?" she gasped. I was guessing that she wasn't thinking straight because I looked a little different than my sister.

"Oh, no, I-I'm not your mother," I said pitying our loss. "I don't... I don't have any kids now." I meant it with so much feeling. Her face paled a little more. Perhaps she got the hint?

"What do you mean, 'now?'"

It stung a little to have thought that she would've recognized me. I lost that ounce of hope left in me.

"I used to have one, but I... um, sorry it's personal," I stuttered uncomfortably. I decided to get to know my daughter more and offered her my hand. "C'mon, get up. I'll buy you dinner."

"Dinner?" she shook her head. "Oh, no. I can... I can buy one for myself at Chick-Fil-A or something." Maybe Alex was a great daughter to Meg. Maybe she obeyed her "parents" and didn't listen or go near strangers. I smiled warmly at the thought of raising her now.

I shook my head in response to her answer. "No, sweetheart, it seems like you've been through a lot,."

She nodded slowly, but she seemed so distracted.

"C'mon let's go, Alex," I cooed. Then I froze. Holy shit. Did I just-

"How'd you know that my name is Alex?" she said shakily. Her eyes were wide, and her mouth was open. "How?! Are you stalking me? What the hell?"

"I-I..." I started, but she cut me off.

"No, don't explain! Wait, yes, please do! What a stalker!" she yelled. I noticed people staring. I've always hated the attention.

"Please, ma'am," I said as calm as I could. "Relax. I'll explain over dinner."

I took her arm and practically dragged her to my parked car at the top of the hill. She was squirming from my grasp. I didn't realize that I was hurting her.

"Woman!" she screamed in my face as I locked the car doors after seating myself in the driver's chair. "Who do you think you are? I will break this window if you don't let me go!"

"Please!" I begged of her. Her anger made me feel small even though I was twice her age. Sometimes her attitude reminded me of mine back then. "Let me explain. I know who you are."

"Please," she snapped. "Enlighten me!"

"I... I am your aunt," I said firmly, even though the lie was burying me alive.

"My aunt?" she said questionably. "My mom never mentioned an aunt."

"I... I know. We never had a great relationship, but she has talked to me about you," I said nodding approvingly. That sounded believable enough.

"My aunt. How can I believe you?"

"You've mistaken me for your... mother."

"What's my full name?"

"Alexandra Haley Parks."

"Color?"

"Blue?" I said, recalling my conversation with Megan.

"A secret that only my mom knows?"

"Um..." I thought back about the phone calls. She never talked too much about Alex's personal life. "You've had a traumatic high school year."

She swallowed a cry. I knew it hurt her to hear that, but it was the main secret I knew about. Alex sighed. "Thank you."

"For what, Alex?" I asked with tears brimming my eyes. Did my daughter just thank me? I wanted to hug her and take her home, but that was totally unreasonable... unless...

"For finding me. I needed someone," she explained.

My heart was beating hard. "Alex, do you want to live with me?"

:~:~:

Alex's POV

Did this woman just ask if I could live with her? Was she crazy? No way.

But when I declined her, my "aunt's" face was so hurt.

"Um, why do... why should I live with you?" I asked her.

She answered, "Because you're in danger."

With that, she pressed a button on her steering wheel, and all of the windows were covered with another layer of glass.

"It's bulletproof and soundproof," she explained. I was still confused, so I yelled, "What do you mean?"

"This was your mother's car. She gave this to me a long time ago. I never had any purpose to use this car, but I guess it's about time."

"What do you mean?"

"You are in danger. If someone went after your parents, it'll only be a matter of minutes or hours or so," she continued to explain. "I fear for your life, my dear... niece. I can protect you."

I nodded, finally understanding the situation. The murderer could be anywhere. I needed an adult's shield more than anything. Well that and a body guard, but this was good.

"Where do you live, auntie?" I asked, excitedly.

"Out of town. I live four hours away. You have to move."

(A/N Hiiiii. Sorry it's a little boring now, but there's going to be drama and stuff soon. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE READS AND VOTES! OVER FOUR HUNDRED READS? OMFG. THANK Y'ALL! Please continue to VOTE after your favorite chapters! Spread the word about this book! THANK YOU! Ilysm )

- A n n i e x x

Copyrights © 2014