[THIRTEEN]

Jaymee Viola Patterson

My phone rang as I was combing my hair down. I flipped one side over my shoulder and picked it up.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, girl. Are you coming tonight?" Laurielle asked.

"Yes, I told you that." I laughed.

"We never know with you." She laughed.

"Micah is on his way to pick me up. I'll see y'all there." I said.

"Bye girl." She said before hanging up.

Micah & I, Laurielle & Derrick and Ronnie & Evelyn were going out tonight. The doorbell rang, letting me know Micah was here. I turned off my flat irons and walked towards the door. I pulled the door open, seeing him leaning against the door frame.

"Hey." I smirked.

"Hey, ready to go?" He asked.

"Yeah, let me grab my wallet." He said.

I did so and walked out the door, locking up before leaving. 

"You look nice." Micah told me as he opened the door.

"Thanks." I smiled.

He nodded and walked over to his side to get in. He pulled off, heading in the direction of the lounge. I looked over at him, watching him as he drove.

"What?" He asked.

I shook my head. He was really making it easy to be away from Zion. I actually hadn't thought about him until now. He still sent me texts often but I wasn't too much concerned with him. He made his decision with Princess and that was fine.

"So, you just stare at people?" He smirked.

"No, just you." I smiled.

"Good. I stare at you too." He joked.

We pulled in the first space we saw. He got out first and came around to my side. We walked in, arm in arm, looking for our friends. 

"Over here!" Laurielle said as she saw us.

We walked over, shared hugs and sat down.

"Did y'all order food?" I asked.

"Yes, hungry." E rolled her eyes.

"Don't do me. I literally haven't eaten all day to save up for these wings." I said.

She started to laugh until she looked at something over my shoulder. Her face relaxed as the smile washed away.

"What?" I asked.

She moved her head in a way to tell me to look behind me. I turned, seeing Zion and Princess at the counter. I tried to turn without him seeing me but I moved too slow. His eyes locked on mine, taking him out of the moment he was in with Princess. She started to say something to him to which he paid attention to her. I turned back and looked at E.

"Are you going to be okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, girl." I shrugged.

I really was going to be okay. My phone started to vibrate in my lap. I instantly knew it was Zion so I stopped it.

"You good?" Micah asked.

"Yeah, just cold." I shrugged.

He pulled off his sweater and tossed it over my shoulders.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"No problem." He smirked.

Micah made it hard for us to be just friends. He didn't understand my full story but he knew I wasn't looking for a relationship. He was willing to go as slow as I wanted to and I couldn't be happier. My phone started to vibrate again. I rolled my eyes as I turned it over.

zion: meet me in the bathroom.

I rolled my eyes but stood up anyway. E looked at me as I nodded. She chuckled before going back to her conversation.

"I'm going to run to the bathroom." I told Micah.

He nodded and engaged in conversation with the rest of our friends. I walked into the women's bathroom, seeing Zion leaned up against the sink.

"You tryna get kicked out of here?" I crossed my arms.

"You tryna get that nigga beat up?" He asked.

"Bye Zion. You here with her, why you worried about me?" I asked.

He reached his arm out to pull me closer to him.

"I'ma always worry about you." He said.

I looked at him, wondering why I was standing right here.

"I miss you." He said.

"That's nice, Zion. Anything else?" I asked.

"You don't miss me?" He asked.

"Of course I do." I shrugged.

He smirked until he saw that my face was set in a straight line.

"I love you, you know that, right?" He said.

"Do I?" I asked.

"Jay, don't play with me." He said.

"You be playing with me." I said.

"I'ma stop." He said.

"Yeah, right." I scoffed.

I stepped back from him, checked myself out in the mirror and turned back to him.

"Have fun on your date, Z." I smiled lightly before leaving out the bathroom.

I walked back out to the table, seeing the food sitting there. The smile on my face grew, making Micah laugh. I sat next to him and instantly dug in.

"You definitely about to think I'm not cute." I told him.

"I could never think that." He said.

I looked over at him as he smiled at me. Maybe Micah was what I needed right now.