[EIGHTEEN]

Jaymee Viola Patterson

3 months later

Zion had really been trying lately. I could tell it was hard for him some days but others, he's really doing his best to do right by me. 

"Girl, you glowing and shit. What's new with you?" Evelyn asked.

I shook my head lightly but the smile on my face said otherwise.

"Alright, Jay. Tell me." She crossed her arms. 

"I mean, there's nothing to tell." I shrugged.

"You got some new dick? You fucking Micah?" Her eyes got wide.

"No, E. Me and Micah kinda don't talk anymore." I said.

Ever since Zion became a present part of my life, I hadn't really picked up Micah's calls or answered his texts. It was only a matter of time before he put out a missing persons report on me.

"Wait, why?" She asked.

"I've been hanging out with Zion more so." I shrugged.

Her eyebrow raised, making me chuckle lightly.

"Really? And how's that been?" She asked.

"Better, now that he's technically a single man." I said.

"He broke up with her?" She asked again.

"Yeah, crazy." I said.

"Hm, he must be serious this time." She nodded.

"I think he is. I appreciate it and all but he only started acting up when Micah came around." I sighed.

"Oh, this another Come to Jesus moment." She said, making me laugh.

"Yeah, at least that's what it seems like. I don't know, I'm preparing for the worst." I shrugged.

"What if he isn't going to do the worst? Then what?" She asked.

"I guess I haven't thought that far ahead. I'm so used to him fucking up." I said.

This wasn't Zion's first stunt like this. He would do okay for a couple weeks, maybe a month, before going back to his old ways. 

"Maybe he's serious this time." She shrugged.

She turned to stir her rice as I sat back with my thoughts. I always saw two futures with Zion. One had him in it as my husband. We would have kids, buy a house and build a life together. The other one included playing second fiddle to a bitch that was going to have the first future. I hadn't thought about it lately but it was now a reoccurring thought. I can't believe I never saw a future without him.

"TT Jay!" Leilani said as she walked in the room.

"Hi baby, where have you been?" I crossed my arms.

"Daddy took me shopping." She shrugged.

Ronnie walked in with a few bags in his hands.

"I know that's not all of it." I said.

"You know it's not." He laughed before walking over to Evelyn.

I watched them interact, blurring them out and putting Zion and I in their place. It looked like a good fit but only time would tell.

"I made Daddy buy me those shoes to match yours." Leilani told me.

"Which ones, baby?" I asked.

"The red Nikes. They are so cute." She giggled.

She continued to tell me about her shopping trip as Ronnie loaded bag after bag into the house.

"You got a lot of stuff, girl. Let's go put it up." I said. 

She grabbed my hand and a few bags before running to her room. Leilani made me want to have kids. The biological clock was ticking and I wasn't getting any younger. Maybe that was something me and Zion had to talk about. I watched as Leilani bounced off the walls, putting her stuff up while showing it to me.

"Ooh, TT. I'm hungry, let's go see if Mommy is done." She said before pulling me up.

"Chill, Lei." I said as she dragged me to the kitchen.

She took a seat at the table before patting the chair next to her. 

"You can sit here, TT." She smiled.

"Actually, TT has a date. But I love you and I'll see you later." I kissed the top of her head.

"Ew, with a boy?" Her face frowned up.

"That's my girl." I heard Ronnie mumble.

"Yes, girl. With a boy." I laughed.

"Have fun. I guess." She rolled her eyes.

"Bye Leilani. Bye E, Ronnie." I said as I grabbed my purse. 

"Call me." She said.

I nodded and left out to head toward Zion's.