[TWENTY-THREE]

Jaymee Viola Patterson

I let out a breath as I stood in the mirror getting ready for my doctor's appointment. I had already texted Zion the details so I knew I was going to see him there. I didn't think he would be so excited about this. He was though. I guess I should be grateful.

"Ready to go, mama?" Evelyn asked.

She was taking me to my appointment today. I still wasn't letting Zion know where I lived because he would be here everyday.

"Yeah, let's go." I sighed.

"You okay?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, just super pregnant." I laughed.

"Girl, bye. You'll be wishing for this when you get to 9 months." She laughed.

We walked down the stairs and out to the car.

"You excited to see my nephew?" She grinned.

"I always am. Just not excited to see his father." I rolled my eyes.

She shook her head as she eased out onto the road. 

"It's good that he's going to be around. Right?" She said.

"I guess. You know I never wanted my child to grow up without a father. But I need to make it clear to Zion that co-parenting is all that is happening between us." I said.

She looked over at me then back at the road before laughing.

"Is that for you or him? You love him, Jay." She said.

"Okay. I do but I love myself more and my son even more than that. I can't with Zion no more." I shook my head.

"That's what I said about Ronnie. Now look at me." She said.

My eyes trailed to the engagement ring on her finger then back to her face.

"I had to give him a chance to see what life was like without me. Once he did, he came back around the right way." She said.

"I'm scared, E." I said.

"I know. I was too. You gotta let him learn from his mistake so he doesn't make it again. He loves you, you love him. Y'all need each other, he just gotta see that. Maybe the baby will change him." She shrugged.

I looked out the window. She was right. Me and Zion were dysfunctional but it only made sense that when I tried to leave him, I end up taking a piece of him with me. God must've not wanted me to be a single mother because he put me and Zion in the same place at the same time. I watched as we pulled into the lot next to Zion's car. 

"Just talk to him, Jay. Let him take you out." She said.

I nodded. She was right again. He got out of his car and opened my door.

"Hey E." He lightly grinned.

"Hi Zion. Take care of her and my nephew." She said.

"Wouldn't do them any other way." He said.

He helped me out then closed the door. I waved as she pulled off.

"Ready?" He asked.

I nodded as he placed his hand on my back as we walked into the office. I signed in then we sat down, waiting for them to call my name.

"You excited?" I asked.

"Yeah, I am." He smiled.

I nodded as I looked through my phone.

"I'm sorry this is my first appointment." He cleared his throat.

"You didn't know. You here now, that's all that matters." I smiled.