[TWENTY-TWO]

Zion Jamal Anderson

"So, who was shorty?" Ty asked as we pulled away from the store.

"My ex-girl. The one I told you about." I sighed.

I checked my phone, seeing I had no notifications. I smacked my lips before putting it back into my pocket.

"I ain't know you was having a little one." He said.

"Neither did I." I mumbled.

"She didn't tell you?" He asked.

"I haven't seen her in almost 6 months." I sighed.

"Damn, kid. That's wild." He said.

We pulled into his driveway next to my car. We saw the curtains move and he laughed. His baby momma knew he was back and was probably going to yell for no reason.

"I'll get up with you, man." I said as I held my hand out.

He dapped it as he nodded.

"Stay up." He said as we parted ways.

I slid into the driver side of my car as my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out, seeing a notification from Jaymee pop up. I sat back as I opened it.

Jay: meet me at the greenhouse. 

I locked it before heading towards the restaurant she was talking about. I pulled into the lot not long after, not seeing her car in the lot. I parked anyway and walked in, seeing her sitting at a table, eating a salad. I cleared my throat before pulling the chair out. She looked at me blankly as I sat down. 

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." She repeated back to me. 

It was silent between us for a while before I spoke up.

"How's everything been with you?" I asked.

"Good." She sighed.

Her hand made its way to her stomach, making my eyes follow it. She put it back in her lap, making me look at her face.

"I found out that day at your house." She said.

She went on to tell me about the whole thing and her pregnancy up until this point. I watched her as she smiled about being pregnant but frown as she ended up here, a single mother had I not seen her in the store.

"Where are you staying?" I asked.

"That's not your business, Zion." She said. 

"It is if you pregnant by me." I said.

She rolled her eyes lightly.

"I need to know where my kid is at all times." I said.

"That's your problem, Zion. You act like you need control over everything all the time." She said.

"In this case, I do." I sat back in my seat.

She brought her hand down on the table loudly, making the other people around us look at our table. 

"No, it's not. Know that he is good and you don't need to worry." She said. 

"He?" I asked.

She nodded before rubbing her stomach again. She must've felt my eyes burning into her because she sighed and stood up.

"You can touch if you want." She said. 

I looked up at her, making sure she was serious before reaching my hand out. I placed it on the center, feeling a slight movement. 

"He likes you. He usually only moves for Leilani." She whispered.

I smiled up at her but she took a step back. I didn't know true loss until that moment. It had been a long time since I last touched Jaymee but to touch her as the mother of my child was completely different. 

"Can I come to the next appointment?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I'll text you the details." She said.

I nodded as the waitress came and sat the check down on the table. I grabbed it before she could, threw some bills in it before setting it back down.

"Thank you." She said quietly.

She stood from the chair then steadied herself against the table. I stood up, helping her gain her balance.

"How are you getting home?" I asked.

On cue, her best friend walked up. She mugged me before turning to Jaymee.

"See you, Zion." She threw over her shoulder as she walked out.

I nodded, as if she could see me, then headed to my car. My first mind told me to follow them but I decided against it to head home. I would see her at the doctor's appointment.