chapter 1

When Levi Hale was born, her brother swore he would always protect her. This was a recurring theme in her childhood years, most importantly occurring during their Hale family games of hide and seek. 

Levi had developed a habit of winning the game, but always because she hid so well that even she herself would not know where she actually was. The silence and isolation had built up her anticipation of the game, masking any fear that she did not realise she had. 

The smell of the damp woods would always calm her and make her feel at home. A born werewolf with a large family, Levi had never had any reason to feel such fear of isolation.

She tried to help keep herself sane by trying to trick her mind into thinking that the past four months had just been an extended game of hide and seek with her pack members, that Scott and Lydia and Malia and Derek and Liam and Stiles would come running into the derelict building laughing as they realised that they had managed to find her and end the game.

But Levi knew this twisted form of a new reality was nothing more than that: reality. There was no extended game of hide and seek going on with her friends and family, there was no chance of them running into the dark train station - because they wouldn't be able to remember her. She missed them more than she had ever missed anything in her life. Sure, she had missed a family she had never truly remembered until only a year prior, but neither party had known the truth. This hurt more for she could remember every second with them, but they couldn't remember a single thing. She remembered how every morning Stiles' jeep would break down until she explained to him that the space he was parking in meant the engine got heated from the hot sun beating down on it. She remembered moving her locker after Allison's death - not wanting to have to stare at it all day so instead she was moved to the one next to Lydia's and a few along from Scott's. She remembered Scott promising her that he would never forget her only weeks before she was taken, as they said a quick goodbye before she left to visit Cora with Derek. She remembered Derek and Cora holding her hands as they helped her up from her trying to beat them in training but failed time and time again. But they wouldn't remember any of it.

So Levi paced the ground. The ground beneath her had changed its terrain, her restless pacing for the time she had been kept in this hell hole not only taking a toll on her.

121 days exactly. She had been stuck in this unidimensional prison for four months. Two-thousand, nine hundred and four hours - 174,240 minutes - of her life had now been spent in complete silence with no human interaction. She hadn't even ate - but for some reason she never found herself craving food, and despite not consuming any nutrients, she remained in the exact same physical condition throughout the four months of nothing but loneliness and emotional pain.

Sure, in a surprising twist her uncle Peter had appeared in this hellhole, but she made so attempt in the slightest to even try to wake him from the seemingly comatose state that he was in after his plan to have her and Scott killed months before in the church with Kate.

And sure, a part of her desperately just wanted to swipe her claws right across his neck and end him there and then - but she had made a promise to her pack that she had changed. She vowed that she would never become a killer like she had been before she had grown to become their family, and just because she was stuck in a seemingly eternal hell of torture didn't mean that she was going to go back on her word.

So she left the man be, knowing that his own thoughts would be driving him insane probably. He wasn't someone she would ever really worry that much about again - even if her brother found it hard to remove a family tie (despite having slicing Peter's throat once himself).

In her first month, Levi had planned many escapes. Obviously, none were successful or she would have been back with her pack by now. It was always the same - she'd go through a door and end up in the same room, or she'd chase after the ghost riders as they hurried out the tunnel but the same blue barrier would always send her flying backwards and make her go stone cold for what she presumed must have been hours.