chapter 29

"Levi..." She breathed. The familiar triskelion was mounted on the third piece of skin - and both wolves could tell that it was significantly fresher than the other two pieces. If they had just been quicker, maybe, just maybe they could have saved their alpha.

Crumbling to his knees, Scott had only ever felt true pain like this once in his life. History had certainly repeated itself again, and Scott couldn't comprehend the feeling of his entire soul and heart being crushed. Crushed, he presumed, was the wrong word. No, this was worse. His chest was frozen, his breaths unable to make it out and his entire world had fallen to the ground around him as he uttered the truth from his red lips.

"She's dead."

//.//

"Sir, with all due respect, I understand that the girl is strong but she's too doped up to need three guards constantly watching her."

Gerard paused in his steps as the rough voice from beside him broke his concentration. The man raised an eyebrow as he stopped in his steps, the speaker almost ramming straight into the back of him. A suddenly pool of anger and hatred stemmed from Gerard as the man turned with a sick scowl on his face at the speaker's words.

"Firstly, that creature - that THING - is not a girl. What it really is that you are failing to see is a vicious killing time bomb. I have seen monsters double the size and on higher dosages still slash heavily armoured mens throats, and you want to know how?" He snarled, moving closer towards the man with every step.

Gerard knew that they had gathered an audience of the crowd of people that were currently in the armoury base. All eyes were now on them, and he was gladly going to take advantage that all ears would certainly be hanging on to every word that he said.

"How, sir?" The man gulped, knowing that he had really made a fool of himself by doubting the man that was more experienced than everyone in Beacon Hills combined when it came to years of hunting experience (except from maybe his own son, that is).

"By stupid mistakes like underestimating their feral ways," Gerard replied, turning back around as he reached out for one of the larger guns that had been set up on display in the armoury. Grabbing the black automatic rifle, he shoved it towards the skittish man with a slight distaste. "I've underestimated the Hale's before, and I certainly won't be doing it again."

___

Levi gasped as she felt the surge of electricity crush through her body. She clenched her teeth together to try and keep the noise in her throat, knowing that Gerard loved to hear the young wolf in pain and distress. It had been bad enough that only hours prior she had heard Lydia and her banshee scream, her pack's voices and Chris leading them out of the base to safety. She had tried to scream, to call, anything for them to hear her but it was no use. They were all in such a frantic state that they hadn't been able to concentrate enough to hear it.

She had also gathered enough information from listening in to different conversations to learn that her pack thought she was dead just like Jiyang and Tierney. Having heard a comment from one of the younger new hunters, Levi had managed to string together some information to get the general idea that her tattoo was in some sort of display case as if it was a trophy.

Opening her eyes, Levi snarled as she watched Gerard laugh at her pain. As the man reached forward, Levi braced herself for another round of excruciating pain to hit her. Closing her eyes shut, Levi waited for it.

But it never came.

The girl cautiously re-opened them, watching as Gerard walked towards her with a phone clutched tightly in his hand. Levi breathed heavily as she tried to continue to regain her breath from the last shocking as the man pressed various buttons on the device. Smirking at her, he raised the device so she could see the screen as he pressed the speaker button as the dialling tone rang through the phone.