chapter 25

"Everything's a lesson, every moment with me. And if there's one thing you learn today, it's this, the best way to build an army is through fear," he informed her, about to move away and slip into the shadows when a pair of eyes latched on to his.

Standing with her hands drenched in the blood of her boyfriend, Levi Hale fearlessly stared back at the man as Scott approached their beta. Gerard felt a small smirk grace his face as she stood her ground, Monroe watching the sudden stand-off with confused eyes.

In that moment, Gerard and Levi knew that they had just formed an instant agreement; one of them certainly was not going to make it out of this war alive.

//.//

"They were murdered. Killed by the new hunter in Beacon Hills. You know, when he took out the Hellhound, we thought that it was luck. That we were dealing with an amateur. But now we know that whoever this new hunter is, he has a teacher," Scott said, twirling the piece of wood that had been embedded in him in his hand before Levi spoke up. Lydia, Levi, Chris and Malia watched as he slowly placed it back down on the table in front of him.

"Gerard," she spat, with such viciousness that they all looked at her for a second. It had been easy for them all to forget that Gerard had caused so much pain in the girl's life before they had even met her. He and Kate had been the cause for the death of her family, he had blinded the man that would eventually act like a father - even if it was a bad one - to her, and he had taunted her repeatedly about the ruin he had caused in her life.

"Which means this is my fault. I'm the one who let him go," Chris sighed, rubbing at his face as he thought about the fact he had allowed his father to walk simply because of the fact that he was his father.

"You couldn't have done anything," Lydia said, a sympathetic look on her face as she tried to reassure the man that he was simply holding on to the last bit of family he had left.

"He could've killed him. Just saying."

There was a moment of silence as they all stared at Malia with sour expressions, knowing that she really was not helping the conversation progress at all with her negative comments.

"I should have slit his neck the second I laid eyes on him last night," Levi snarled, her eyes flashing red as she moved away from the table and turned her back on the rest of the room. There was a moment of silence as they all considered reaching out to touch her, but they knew that she would not be appreciative of it at that point in time.

"We're not executioners," Lydia firmed reminded Malia and Levi, but she knew that Levi wasn't going to listen to her statement. Just because the rest of them had lead a kill-free life since becoming supernatural (despite the accidental kill of Malia's family), she sometimes forgot that Levi used to never hesitate before going in for the kill.

"You are when it comes to war." Malia argued, but Scott shook his head.

"That's why we're gonna make peace."

"With Gerard?" Lydia scoffed, knowing that this was not going to end well at all. There was no way in hell that Gerard would gladly let the werewolves continue to live in Beacon Hills as if they were normal people, and there was no way that they could be able to live there after being exposed as supernatural.

"Lydia, you know what's coming. We all keep using the same word. War. So what stops a war from happening?"

"Peace summit."

"Right. We meet face-to-face with Gerard. Find out what he wants and then we stop all this before it gets any worse!" Scott pleaded with them, noticing that Levi had been incredibly silent.