chapter 23

"You left your computer in the bunker."

There was a moment before Chris and Levi both realised how Scott had easily got into the man's laptop. He was never really one for having a good password.

"Ah. I guess I need a new password."

"Allison?" Levi asked, a sad smile on her face as she thought about her best friend.

"Allison."

//.//

Levi approached Scott and Malia, having heard most of their conversation about being worried about a potential new hunter. Chris was nearby, also searching for the slug of the bullet so that they could catch the killer. She understood their panic, being hunted had been a constant in her childhood.

"I was hunted by my dad," Malia said, reminding the two alphas that she had been through this process before. They shared a small look with each other before sharing their own experiences.

"I was hunted by my girlfriend's dad," Scott said, smiling slightly as he thought about how far he and Chris had came since they first met. It certainly hadn't been an easy path for any of them, but he was just happy to have the hunter on his side now.

"I was hunted by my brother's girlfriend," Levi added, Malia turning to look at her with a soft hint of confusion in her eyes. After everything Malia had learned, she had never really thought about Levi being hunted by Kate, although it made perfect sense now. There was a short pause before all three let out low laughs, the surrealness of the situation getting to them slightly.

"Does that fear ever go away?" Scott asked Levi and Malia, knowing that they had been running for their whole lives, not just a few years. The two girls shared a look before Levi noticed that Malia's eyes widened slightly as she peered over the alphas shoulders. She moved slightly before looking frantically back to Scott and Levi.

"What if I told you I saw a red laser sight right now?" She asked, her voice high with tension. Scott scoffed, thinking she was joking but the catching of a red beam in his peripheral vision also made him turn halfway through his sentence.

"I'd say that you are seriously..." he started before Levi tugged his shirt sleeve to get him to fully turn. "...Not paranoid."

Levi tensed up, moving so that she was slightly in front of Scott and Malia as she allowed her fangs to show and her eyes to flash their vibrant red. Snarling, she let out a reasonably large growl before she heard the voice call out.

"Relax, it's just me," Chris said, holding the gun up slightly to advert the red laser beam from their sight. Levi relaxed, but Malia scoffed with hesitance.

"Do you have to use that thing?"

"To determine the trajectory of the bullet, yes. Show me where you found the body. Take it easy, safety's on," Chris said, turning the gun so that they would all stop tiptoeing around him. It wasn't like the supernaturals to be so paranoid. Chris spun around a few times, moving the laser through the air before he stopped at the tree in front of them. "Got it."

He crouched back up before looking at the two alphas that stood next to him. He hummed before coming up with a small idea to help them to understand what he was seeing.

"Scott, Levi, do me a favor. Glow your eyes, tell me if you can see it, too," he ordered, and the couple shared a look before doing what he told them to. Levi followed the laser, her eyes catching on the flickering of a silver mark on the tree.

"I see it," Scott modded, his eyes turning back to brown.

"I can too!" Levi agreed, moving closer to the tree as Chris tried to explain to them why they could see it.