chapter 33

Levi rounded the corner, hearing the taunts of Monroe in front of her. She snarled loudly as she slammed through the door of the guidance office, her teeth sharpened into canines as she searched for the woman.

She made a fatal mistake.

The second she turned around in the office, her eyes didn't meet Monroe.

A face made of seemingly nothing but flesh, with bright purple eyes glared back at her as it hissed angrily. Just as Levi went to yell out for help, she found grey covering her vision.

And then, nothing.

___

"Even if the yellow wolfsbane was just meant to weaken him, Scott figured it out. Like he always does."

"You wanted enough power so that you could never be trapped again. You wanted the power of a shapeshifter like me. But that comes with all of the rules of being a shapeshifter! We have weaknesses. And we have lines that we can't cross."

"Mountain Ash."

___

When Levi found herself breaking free of the cocoon she had been trapped in, the first thing she knew was that the Anuk-ite had been defeated. Any weird trance that had been spread across the town was gone and she didn't feel as terrified as she had in a long time.

Rushing out of the guidance office, Levi felt her heart drop as she caught the scent of blood. The sickly, sweet smell that she had smelt many times before. It was someone in her pack's blood, she was sure of it.

As she rounded the corner, her thoughts strayed instantly from the thought of the blood smell. Monroe was facing Levi, a gun pointing in her direction as she held a radio receiver in her hand. Levi snarled, her growl coming out low and harsh as she started to move towards Monroe.

This woman had helped to start all of this; had helped to torture and kill her friends. She was going to make her pay - an eye for an eye, even if it would make her blind. Just as her eyes flashed red, Levi felt herself hesitate as she realised that the gun in Monroe's hand had a different type of gunpowder smell surrounding it.

Levi knew that there was nothing she could do at that moment. In Monroe's gun was a wolfsbane bullet, but not any bullet. A yellow wolfsbane bullet. The stuff that literally would kill her the quickest and in the most painful manner.

Watching as Monroe pressed down on the radio speaker button, Levi could still smell the scent of blood wafting in from the direction of the library. She needed to get to her pack, but she wasn't going to let one bullet from Monroe kill her first.

"This is Monroe. Someone report with a status. Now!" The woman's eyes flicked to Levi for a split second as she tightened her grip on the gun that rested in her hand. It was in that moment that Levi saw the fear in her eyes and was reminded that this woman wasn't a proper hunter. The alpha could definitely kill her easily. "Someone respond. Someone talk to me. What's happening? Someone pick up the radio and tell me what's happening!"

There was a pause as Monroe waited for a reply, all the while Levi was inching closer and closer to the non-professional hunter. The teenager knew that any quick movement would certainly make Monroe fire the bullet, and that wasn't a desirable option.

The radio suddenly crackled in Monroe's hand, both of their eyes drifting to look at it as the screen lit up with an incoming transmission.

"You lost."

The line shut off, and Levi felt her lips fall into a wide grin as she heard her beta's voice, alive and well, come firmly through the line. Monroe let the radio clutter to the floor, noticing that a new confidence had taken over Levi's body. The alpha moved with determination, her claws flicked out as she stalked towards Monroe. Yelling, the woman blindly fired the gun at Levi before running out of the doors behind her and into the darkness of the night.