chapter 32

"This is how you wage war, Scott. A strategic positioning of your army against theirs. Which is why you will come to me. You will try to save as many as you can. And you might even save a few. But your limited resources will be spread thin. Ultimately you will fail. The dogs of war, Scott. They're coming for you."

The line broke off, leaving the pack to all stare at each other in panic. Gerard was continuing to be many steps ahead of them again, and Levi wasn't going to let him continue that way for any longer.

"You heard him," she spat, knowing that they would have hunters waiting on them whatever they tried to do. "It's time to get our pack back."

//.//

"So, just before we get into things," Levi said as they gathered around the metal table in Deaton's animal clinic. Levi noted that she hadn't seen the man in a while but Scott had just told her that he hadn't been in the country for a little while and they hadn't been able to contact him. "How in the world did you both end up carpooling?"

"It was, literally, day one at my internship, and up comes a slide about this guy that they've been chasing in the woods in North Carolina," Stiles started.

"I thought you were in South America?" Scott interrupted, looking to Derek in confusion. Chris had told them that's where the last sighting of the older Hale brother had been.

"I was. The bodies of the werewolves I told you about? They blamed me."

Levi felt a small smirk rest on her face as she thought about how typical for Derek that was. He had always been a top suspect in most murder cases she had heard of and literally every time it was never him who had committed the deed.

"So I learn that the FBI has cornered this feral mass-murdering unsub," Stiles started but was cut off by Derek as he tried to hurry the story along at a timely pace.

"I found a group of hunters gathering in a meeting place, I was trying to get information."

"Well, the FBI found out about it too and they were planning a SWAT assault to take him down. Dead or alive and, as we all know, though, with Derek, it's preferably dead."

They all laughed a little as they realised that was a very true statement. He was always in trouble with the feds. "Preferably." He shrugegd.

"So I convinced them to take me on the Field Op."

Levi's eyebrows shot up at the same time her friends' all did too. They looked at the training FBI agent in shock as he looked between them all with a small grin on his face, proud that he was able to have done that.

"You convinced the FBI to bring an intern onto an extremely dangerous field operation?" Lydia asked in shock.

"I'm surprised he didn't convince them he could lead it," Derek informed the rest of them as he thought back to how Stiles and him had ended up together.

"I tried. Didn't work. Anyway, long story short, I basically, you know, had to save his life," Stiles boasted, puffing out his chest and winking slightly at Lydia as he tried to seem more heroic than he usually ended up being.

"That's not how it happened."

"Yeah. I may have left out a detail, but that's the gist of what happened. It was the essential essence of it."

"You couldn't walk."

"I was limping."

Levi looked between the two as they bickered, a sigh leaving her lips as she rubbed at her forehead with her hand. She regretted even asking how they had met as this was just getting tiring now.