chapter 22

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Lydia asked Levi as the two girls pulled up outside Lydia's house. The girl was staying over in the hopes of them being able to research more about Hellhounds.

"I just have this feeling Lyds," she started, her eyes looking into the distance as she stuttered with her words.

"What feeling?" Lydia asked, a gut feeling in her chest about what the girl was about to say.

"Like I'm not going to make it out alive of whatever this is."

//.//

"I was saying that if we're talking about some sort of mythical creature that's so powerful the only safe place to put it is in the Wild Hunt, then we have a serious problem!"

Levi stilled from inside the coach's office when she heard Mason voice his fears to Liam. She could feel the terror in the boys voice, and it wasn't really helping her with her own. There was something about whatever was happening that just wasn't sitting right with her. Lydia was away chasing another lead, while Scott and Malia went to try and track down Argent. Levi, the only one with an actual job, was stuck at school - watching Liam make more terrible choices.

"Can we figure it out while I'm running drills? Brett's meeting me to help the freshmen that wanna make First Line," the young beta responded as he fastened on his lacrosse gear. Not only did Levi hear Mason's interest peak, but so did hers. She hadn't seen the wolf in a while, especially after everything they went through with Satomi's pack in the deadpool.

"Brett? Incredibly hot Brett with the eight-pack abs?" Levi scoffed, knowing that Liam would definitely be able to hear her. She could feel her beta getting annoyed by Mason's constant need to remind him just how hot he found Brett.

"Pretty sure his name is just Brett," Liam scoffed, rolling his eyes as he rummaged in his locker for his deodorant.

"He has an eight-pack. Do you, do you know how hard it is for the human body to have an eight-pack? God," Mason breathed, thinking about the boys perfectly sculpted body. "Wait, why is he helping you?"

"I couldn't get anyone else to volunteer," Liam admitted, knowing exactly why.

"Well. Yeah, that's because there's no way any of 'em are gonna make First Line. I mean, no one does before junior year!"

"Scott did, and so did I. Coach even said Levi would have!" Levi smirked at this information, knowing that the coach was just winding the boy up. She had only ever played lacrosse once, and vowed to never play it again.

"Yeah, with a little supernatural help." Mason whispered, but too loudly for Levi's liking. She let out a soft growl from the office, knowing that Liam would catch her warning. The beta smacked Mason lightly in the chest, motioning to the office. "Sorry Levi," he whispered, Liam rolling his eyes at his best friend.

"Thanks for the gear, Liam, and the drills, and the chance, you know. Even if there really isn't one," one of the freshmen told him, sending a short look to Mason at the last part of the sentence.

"Unless you practice. Like, today. I mean, you could totally have a shot at making First Line. No, you all do, seriously. You guys could do it, seriously. I've seen you guys out there, you guys are gonna kill it!" Mason started rambling, with Levi finally losing the plot with listening to the boys constant muttering.

She opened the door to the office, all of the boys turning to look at her. Ignoring a few of the looks that some of the younger members gave her as they stared hungrily at her, she blew her whistle loud enough to catch Mason's attention.