chapter 7

"No, the power went out. And I ran like hell," Peter lowly muttered causing Levi to snort at how pathetic he was sounding.

"That's it? You just ran?" She scoffed, not really that surprised as he was a coward.

"Yes, that's it. I literally just ran away from the insane asylum that was holding me hostage! You know, the one you and you're stupid friends should be in!" He shouted, but that was the final straw for Levi.

Shoving Stiles out of the way, she lunged for his throat. 

//.//

"The corpus callosum is not only the largest white matter structure in the brain, but also the bridge connecting all parts of the brain to each other. That ability for all parts of the brain to communicate, and to work together, help us make leaps in cognitive thinking," the biology teacher explained, summing up what they had previously been learning about the corpus callosum matter. 

She looked around the class, before her eyes fell on Lydia Martin who was uncharacteristically not paying attention and staring out of the classroom windows. "Any questions, thoughts, insight, Lydia?"

"I completely agree," the banshee answered, completely oblivious to what their teacher had actually been talking about and had asked her. She snapped back to look at the teacher, tilting her head slightly/

"Is there something outside that's more fascinating than the structure of the human mind?"

"No. I don't think so," Lydia muttered, looking back outside at the jeep that was sitting in the student parking lot.  

"Okay. Good. Now, many people credit the corpus callosum, uh, for giving us a sense of intuition, gut instinct, even we ourselves aren't aware..." She trailed off as Lydia sprung to her feet, having seen the jeep begin to get towed away from the parking lot.

"I'm sorry, I'll be right back," she said, running out of the room and leaving the whole class flustered at her irrational behaviour. Scott's eyes widened, needing to check on his friend immediately. 

"I'm just gonna check if she's okay!"

He too jumped to his feet, grabbing his backpack and running out of the class behind her. Their biology teacher sighed, rubbing her forehead as she stared out at the rest of the class who were just as confused as she was. There was something different about Scott and Lydia since they had been freshmen, but this year had been even stranger than any other.

"You guys know that classes aren't optional, right?"

/./

"Hey! Hey! You can't tow this Jeep!" Lydia shouted, running across the parking lot to the man who was hooking the jeep up to his tow truck.

"Paperwork says I can. It's reported as abandoned," he answered, not in the mood to try to put up with annoying teenagers trying to interfere in his work. There was no way he wasn't going to get paid because of some random demand from a girl.

"And now it's not," Lydia snarked, placing a hand on the bonnet of the jeep. There was something about this car that wasn't right, and she was going to figure it out. But if it was towed away, she would never be able to find out what was wrong with the jeep. 

"Oh, this is your vehicle?"

"Does it matter?" 

"Sounds like a no," the man scoffed, rolling his eyes again at the girl and turning around to finish connecting it to his truck.

"It's mine. Uh, my Jeep. Thank you. I'll move it. Once I get the keys. From my locker. After you leave," Lydia rambled, ignoring the look Scott was giving her in confusion and disbelief. This was really out of character for the girl, especially over a broken and rusted jeep that they had never seen in their lives.