Chapter 15

Malia brushed by Levi and Lydia, pressing her face almost against the glass as she yelled to try to get Scott's attention.

"Scott? Scott, can you hear me? Listen, I remember something. At the start of the year, Stiles was trying to find a place for you guys to live after graduation. He said you were getting an apartment together? And I remember saying something to Stiles. Something like it's not always a good idea to live with your friends. Even your best friend. But Stiles said it wouldn't matter because you weren't just friends." Malia told the story, but it was Levi who knew exactly the word they needed to say to get through to Scott.

"You guys were more like brothers." Levi yelled, watching as Scott groaned at a memory coming on.

//.//

"What, what's wrong? Why'd you bring me out?" Scott gasped as he felt Levi's arms wrap around him as he tumbled out of the machine and onto the concrete floor. She brushed as his hair, moving it from his eyes as she searched his face to make sure he was okay.

"Your heart rate dropped. You were gonna die!" Lydia exclaimed, breathing a sigh of relief at her friend being okay even if it meant that their plan was failing.

"We had to," Malia softly agreed, knowing that Scott was devastated that it hadn't worked.

"But then, but then nothing happened, did it? It didn't work." 

Levi rubbed his back as they all sat in silence as they thought about how they might never get to see Stiles again since their only plan had crumbled apart in only ten minutes. She sneezed, releasing Scott but also causing him to jump up blindly.

"I'm going back in!" He argued, moving towards the machine as the three girls also clambered to their feet to stop him from doing such a thing.

"No, you're not!" Lydia yelled, grabbing on to the alpha and pulling him away from the freezing machine.

"It was working. Something was happening. I could feel it." Scott insisted, but Malia wasn't having any of it.

"But nothing was happening out here. Nothing, Scott. All we saw was you freezing to death." She argued back, looking to Levi for support. If there was anyone the alpha would listen to the most out of the three members of the pack, it was probably her.

"You're still too cold," Levi murmured, running her hand along his chest to comfort the heaving teenager. He frantically ran his hands through his hair as he flicked his gaze between the three of them.

"We can't give up now," Scott argued, but Malia had already thought of an alternative idea to the plan.

"We're not. It's my turn. I have plenty of memories of Stiles, too!" She explained, and Scott and Levi shared thoughtful glances while Lydia hastily shot the idea down.

"It's too dangerous," the banshee argued, but the alphas of the pack weren't too sure about that.

"Not as dangerous as doing nothing," Levi noted, causing Malia to nod frantically and point at the girl in confirmation. Lydia sighed, but she knew that she was going to be outnumbered on this.

"She'll probably handle the cold better than me," Scott continued the joint thought process and Lydia found herself thinking more about how she could do that a second time around.

"If it's all about connection, then Stiles was the first person I connected with in a long time," Malia noted. This was something that none of them could deny.

"She'll need a visual." Levi finally stated, sensing that Lydia was willing to go ahead with the dangerous plan of freezing Malia.

"Okay, I think I have an idea. But Malia, if your heart rate goes down like Scott's, or if we think you're going to freeze to death..."