chapter 8

"Yeah, but you could have warned them!" Stiles screamed out, tears streaming down his face as he continued to realise that Levi Hale was gone. She had died doing the thing she had always tried to do: protect her pack.

"We warned Levi. And he was gonna do it anyway. Now, we know," Peter tried to act rational, but he was dying inside. He thought he could kill Levi the way he had Laura, but it was obvious to him now that there was something different about the girl.

"Know what?" Stiles asked, glaring deeply at Peter as he looked up at the werewolf.

"That we're stuck. It's over."

//.//

Levi had died before - that was a fact. It hadn't been that sore, and she had been brought back safely by Deaton in the animal clinic. All it had been was darkness and serenity. As if she was floating.

That's how she knew she wasn't dead, it didn't hurt the way this did. 

She had fallen from maybe twenty feet in the air, slamming down on to hard concrete that she strangely recognised but couldn't explain why or how she recognised it. Her vision was blurry from the pain, but as she lay there is got easier to breathe.

Her sense of smell kicked in first, allowing her to take a breath and understand why she recognised the smell. She could smell the familiar rubber tyres of Scott's motorbike - leading her to realise that she was laying on the ground outside his house. She guessed this made sense as it was him who she most wished to see when she returned from hell.

Levi was still in shock, but the burning across her body wasn't doing anything to help with the pain she was experiencing. Tyres screeched as a car pulled to a halt to avoid from hitting into her, and the alpha heard a voice yell out in shock as they saw the unrecognisably burned girl lying in the middle of the path.

She still couldn't see, but she didn't need to. She hissed as the person collapsed to their knees beside her, holding on to the girl as she tried to squirm on the gravel below her.

"Dear god," he spoke, not recognising her in the slightest - a fact that didn't surprise the girl. Coach Finstock was a good man, but even the best of people would find it hard to un-do the ghost rider's curse that had been placed on her.

Levi was drifting awake and not, her wounds not healing quickly due to the extent and supernatural causing of them. She could hear the coach calling the emergency services to send out an ambulance to them straight away, but it wasn't something she was really concentrating on. 

She had been so close to getting to Scott, but her smell had confirmed that he wasn't even home so wouldn't have seen her anyway. She swore, once she was able to leave the hospital that the first thing the girl would do would be to find her boyfriend - even if he had no idea who she was to him.

Rough hands gently grabbed at her, easing her onto hard plastic at the same time. She groaned, her eyesight still blurred, and her body still itching and burning from the disaster.

And as she was lifted into the ambulance, drifting in and out of consciousness, Levi heard the one thing that gave her hope for Stiles being able to be saved from that hell - the sound of a roar. Peter's roar.

_________

"What the hell?" Scott muttered, him and Lydia being jolted awake from inside the jeep as they heard the roar echo across Beacon Hills. 

"Did you hear that?" Malia checked with them as they ran over to stand beside the were coyote, not sure what was going on. It was familiar, but they weren't sure why.