Weightless

Chapter Twelve
Title from Weightless by All Time Low.

"Hey, are you feeling okay?" I was startled by the voice of Mr.Way, looking at me with a face that looked almost desperate.

I blinked hard, trying to see him straight.

"Yeah, yeah" I replied, trying to focus on him so he might get off my case.

"I really don't think-"

"I'm good" I snapped, feeling suddenly defensive. I got up from the table I had at lunch and walked passed him and pushed the door to the hallway. I could hear it open again as I got about halfway down the hall, and I decided to keep walking.

I don't want to talk. I really don't want to talk.

Everything around me seemed to move fast, and all of a sudden I had a foggy feeling that got worse as the seconds passed. I tried to keep walking, pushing through the feeling, blinking as black dots clouded my vison.

Then the black dots multiplied, until they took over.

***

I woke up to the sound of running water and an immediate headache.

When I opened my eyes, I was immediately both nauseaous and lightheaded again. I brought a hand up to my forehead and rubbed the tender skin above my eye.

"Jack?" I heard the sweet voice of a woman, and I turned to see that it was the school nurse, Mr.Way by her side with a cup of water in hand. He looked directly at me as he handed me the cup.

I slowly sat up, seeing that I was on the small exam table in the nurses office.

"How did I-"

"You passed out in the hallway" Mr.Way explained, his worried expression never leaving his face "I carried you here"

I blinked a few times, and took the water from him, taking a small sip of it.

"Your sister is on her way to get you, your parents were unable to get you and gave us her number" The nurse explained in a gentle tone.

How long was I passed out?

"I'll be right back" She said as she stepped out of the room, glancing at me one last time before the door closed behind her.

Mr.Way sat in silence for a second, but I already know what he'll say.

"Have you been eating?" he asked, in a concerned tone, with a concerned face which I've grown to hate.

I don't want pity, it only makes me feel worse. It makes me feel weaker, like I'm something that people should worry about.

I shrugged, watching my feet as I kicked them back and fourth over the edge of the exam table.

"Please get some help" he begged.

He cares too much. He doesn't even know me, and nothing a doctor can say is going to make me better. He doesn't understand.

I jumped off of the table as I heard the voice of my sister in the hallway outside the nurses office. I almost fell over as I got down, seeing Mr.Way step out, as if he was going to help me.

"He was just walking down the hall and he passed out" the nurse said as she opened my door to reveal my sister, May. I haven't seen May since before I even met Danny, we haven't really been in contact much since she moved out.

When May saw me I watched her eyes widen. She stared at me, in shock for at least a minute before she uttered a word. "Jack, you're so-" she stopped herself and I saw that she was close to tears "You're so small"