You take my breath away

Chapter Twenty Seven
Title from No Idea by All Time Low.

I almost pouted as I was handed the red maracas with a poor paint job.

Out of all of the instruments I got stuck with the maracas, and Alex got stuck with the bongos.

I looked at the boy beside me and couldn't help but smile as he looked down at the bongos.
I started to shake the maracas unenthusiastically to get his attention, he quickly looked up to me with a smile.
Maybe the maracas will grow on me.

I saw Alex look at his other friends. Why is he sitting with me? He could be with them.

Alex seemed to feel a lot better than earlier, and I'm glad.
I'm not going to pretend that I'm not scared, because I am.
I'm scared because I know it'll hurt him when he leaves me here. I know it'll hurt me, too.

I'm afraid that he'll leave, but I do trust him when he says that he won't.

"we should make a band" Alex cooed, hitting the bongos lightly as I kept shaking the maracas.

I chuckled at him, playing into his joke "what should it be called?" I asked, smirking at him. I watched his face grow a little red.

Is Alex blushing?

"Uh, The Marangos" he said, creatively. I laughed with him and agreed with a light nod.

We played terribly. The whole room was full of loud and obnoxious noises.

Is the point of this group to give you a headache?

It's alright. I don't care, Alex seemed to be having a good time. I was too, as long as he was here.

***

"Last time, whoever wins this one..whoever loses owes the winner a favor" I said, adding a bit of competition to our silly game of rock, paper, scissors.

If I win, I'm so making him lend me his pillow while he's out of the room.
I need an extra pillow, but I obviously can't have one without a note from Dr.Grace saying that I really need one.

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!" We said in unison. I glanced between our hands as mine was formed into paper and Alex's was the scissors.

Shit. Goodbye my opportunity for two pillows.

"Fuck you" I rolled my eyes playfully.
Alex chuckled before winking at me.

Winking at me?

What? He winked at me? Why does that make my stomach tie in knots?
I could feel my face growing red, shit.
I quickly turned to the door and pretended to see what was going on in the hallway, and when I turned back Alex was moving against his window.

He looked down at the world with wonder, and it was beautiful. I made the split second decision to climb into bed with him, sitting on the opposite side of the window.

"I haven't looked out a window since I got here" I said quietly.
I haven't looked at the world in a year, all I can see from my bed is the sky.

I know that looking only makes me want to be a part of that.

I looked down, watching the cars move together, and birds fly, and people walking around the shops and the people walking along the sidewalk.