Chapter 3

Chapter 3

          Chester woke up and couldn’t celebrate like everyone else could about it being the weekend. He never enjoyed the weekend. He didn’t have friends to hang out with. The only good thing about the weekend was not having to see Mike or his friends. It was his only break from them and then sometimes they still managed to find him. He had heard that one of their group members had moved away and he wished the rest of them would leave too. But maybe they weren’t the problem. Maybe he was the problem. That would make more sense. He shook his head as he quietly exited his house. He didn’t need to wake his dad up. He had his long sleeved shirt on again. He’d cut again after what Mike’s friend had told him yesterday. It’d been stupid to try and talk to Mike about the song. But the other boy had written down his lyrics. He didn’t get to take credit for the song. He wasn’t sure why he’d asked Mike if he’d liked them or not. It was a stupid question. Why the hell would Mike like his lyrics? It wouldn’t make sense.

          But he wanted someone to like the songs he wrote. Because if someone did then there had to be someone else that did too. He was putting his whole life towards being able to write music. If no one wanted to listen to it, he wouldn’t have any other options.

          He spent most of his weekend walking the neighborhood because he didn’t want to be home. Most people his age would sit at home and play videogames or something like that. Truth be told, Chester liked being outside more. Well maybe if he’d actually ever tried to play them maybe he’d enjoy them. He didn’t care though. It didn’t matter because he wasn’t going to get a chance to play them.

          Another problem was that he didn’t have anywhere to go. He’d tried to find as many new places as he could but eventually he ran out. There weren’t a ton of places in walking distance and he didn’t want to get in trouble for taking the car anywhere. He figured he could try and find some secluded place in the neighborhood but if he wanted that then he could just stay at home.

He sighed and decided to go to the park. That way he could think in a quiet place. But think about what? What waited for him back at home? The way that he actually believed what Mike’s friend had told him? The park was quiet. No one would notice if he did. He could go off to some corner of the park and do it. That would make them all happy wouldn’t it? He shook his head slightly. He wasn’t going to do it. But the more he thought about it, the more he felt that it was the right decision. He reached into his pocket and winced slightly when his finger ran across something sharp. He forgot that he’d left the blade in his pocket. He’d been exhausted after yesterday and he must have left it there. It wouldn’t be hard to do. All he’d have to do is find a private spot and slit his wrists. He found his spot. But he didn’t try to do it. Instead he leaned back against the tree he was sitting by. Maybe he just needed to cool down for a little bit.

Mike’s POV.

          Mike had just locked his door and headed to the park. It was late in the evening. Close to nine but it was still light out. Just like Rob had said. It probably wouldn’t get darker until he was actually at the park. It would take him a half hour to actually walk there. Dave was behind him. The guy had seemed to forget about the incident in the restaurant with Chester. Which was good. Dave was talking about something.

“….Wow I’m excited to see Rob. I haven’t seen him in a long time and he’s going to be here the whole summer. It’s great! It’s like a really late birthday present,” Dave said laughing and Mike grinned.

“You’re so damn excited. It’s contagious.”

“I just want to see him.”

“I know but you don’t have to go crazy.”