Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Mike’s POV

          Chester had gone through two more of his seizures due to his concussion. The doctors made Mike leave the room even though Mike wanted to be there to help. He hated leaving Chester alone. Especially in that state. He knew Chester was easily frightened. The seizures didn’t help that fact. Chester was always afraid of having them and after he did, Mike would have to talk to him for hours to try and tell him that it would all get better. Chester had been hurt enough and now his body wouldn’t stop. The constant shaking and thrashing was making Chester’s ribs hurt, Mike could tell. Even the smallest movement would cause him pain. Mike found it tiring and he barely got any sleep because he was worrying that Chester would have a seizure while he was asleep and no one would be there to help him. Mike would never forgive himself if that happened.

          Mike gripped the rail overlooking the stairs tightly. This was the third time this week Chester had a seizure. He was once again told to leave the room. He stared down at the people walking on the floor below him. Some of them were laughing and talking with the patient here. A little boy was talking with an older boy who was sitting in a wheelchair. They were all happy. But he wasn’t. None of them had boyfriends with head trauma and broken everything.

          “Are you alright?” Mike looked up to see an older woman sitting down on the bench outside one of the rooms.

          “Oh yea I’m ok. Just going through a lot,” Mike replied trying to smile. It didn’t work.

          “I know what you mean. My granddaughter just went through some stressful times. That’s who I’m here for.”

          Mike cocked his head, “Oh. I’m sorry. My….uh…..my friend is here. He attempted suicide a few nights ago.”

          “I’m sorry to hear that. My granddaughter did the same. Wait, I think I heard about your friend. Was he the one they found on the beach?” the woman asked and Mike nodded slightly.

          “Yea. I’ve been here ever since I heard. I’m sorry about your granddaughter. No one should ever think that suicide is the only way out.”

          “I agree. Are you sure you’re alright?”

          “Yea. I’m just scared for him. Sorry if this is personal, but how did your granddaughter try?”

          “No its ok. She overdosed on pills,” the woman said softly and Mike felt his heart wrench.

          “Chester did too. Well not pills but I found him on the floor of his living room with a note telling me that he wasn’t good enough to be here.”

          “I hope he is doing ok?”

          Mike looked down at the ground as he thought about how Chester was doing. Was Chester doing ok? He was having a seizure almost every other day. Was that ok? No.