Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Chester’s POV

          On his way to school the next day the lyrics kept running through his head. He hoped they were what Mike was looking for. He honestly wouldn’t be able to take much more disappointment. He read the page of lyrics for Paranoia as he walked to school trying to figure out if there was something he should change. He knew that no one wrote a perfect song right away but this one had to be close. He got to school and saw Dave, Mike and Joe hanging out in one of the corners. He didn’t really want to talk with them in school in case people saw them. He knew they’d come up with something. He folded up the lyrics and put them in his pocket. Mike came up to him while he was at his locker.

          “Hey don’t forget we’re at Joe’s house today after school,” Mike said with a smile.

          “Yea I got it,” Chester nodded.

          “Just wondering if you finished the song or not?” Mike asked.

          “Yea. It’s done.”

          “Oh wow. Ok.” Chester watched Mike nod and then walk away back to Dave and Joe. Dave seemed to be alright since he was laughing and talking with Joe so that was good. At least no one except him had been injured and what did he matter? He walked to his class and got ready to start the rest of this day. Happy that there wasn’t much left of school before summer.

Mike’s POV

          As he finished his second exam for the day, Mike leaned back in the chair and decided to get out of the class for a little while. He asked to use the bathroom and then headed out into the hall. He walked slowly as he wandered the halls in the direction of the bathrooms. He was surprised that Chester had finished the whole song. He could barely write a verse in that amount or time let alone a whole song. He was almost a little nervous about seeing what Chester had come up with. He knew the boy wrote dark lyrics and some of them were scary. He heard voices coming down the hall and recognized them as Rob and Brad. Mike ducked into the bathroom and ran into a very startled Chester who had his wrists wrapped in a paper towel but Mike could tell he’d cut.

          “What the hell are you thinking?” Mike gasped quietly as Chester stared at him. What had happened here that had made Chester so desperate to cut at school?

          “I…..” Chester didn’t have any excuse.

          “Chaz what happened?” Mike asked quietly trying to keep his voice low. Chester reached into his pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. Mike took the paper as Chester held it out to him and unfolded it. He looked at the top and it read Paranoia. This must be the song that Chester had written. But all the lyrics were scribbled out or replaced with lines that wouldn’t make sense. And then at the bottom written in black ink was Go Kill Yourself You Little Fucker. Chester held out his hand and there was a matching signature on his hand written in the same ink. Mike’s temper flared as he continued to read over the paper. The song wasn’t recognizable but everything that had been written over it was. You’re A Worthless Son Of A Bitch and Get Cuttin’ were only two of the horrid things that had been written all over his lyrics.

          “Chester,” Mike said softly but he couldn’t tear his gaze away from the piece of paper. He managed to look back at Chester’s hand were blood was dripping from a point where someone had pressed too hard with the pen. Mike felt sick. Rob and Brad had done this and then tried to hunt him down. That’s when he heard the door open. He grabbed Chester and shoved him into the nearest stall and then followed. Brad and Rob entered the bathroom.