Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Mike’s POV

          Exams had finished today and Chester was supposed to be meeting with them to celebrate today. Well, Dave, Joe, and himself. Rob and Brad still refused to associate with Chester. They were going to celebrate by going to one of those outdoor mini golf courses. Dave was walking next to him as they headed down to Chester’s house. The boy hadn’t shown up for the practice session after school the day before but he just said that he needed a break. Mike understood. He’d been under a lot of pressure to write. Mike had spent that day drawing. He was always complimented by people for his artwork. He had drawn everyone in the band. He’d started Chester’s drawing yesterday. But he wasn’t sure what kind of expression to put on his face. He was always sad or depressed and he almost never smiled. Mike might have seen him smile three times and that was it. He didn’t want to draw Chester depressed.

          “Hey Mike, do you want to do the honors?” Dave asked finally as they stood in front of Chester’s house.

          “Oh sure. Yea,” Mike was still a little nervous because last time he’d knocked on Chester’s door, he’d almost been attacked. He walked up slowly and quietly knocked on the door. A minute passed and then Chester opened the door, wiping a hand over his nose.

          “Hey Mike.” This was the first time Chester had ever initiated conversation with him.

          “Uh. Hi Chaz,” Mike said. He could tell he had a slightly stunned expression on his face.

          “Something wrong Mike?” Chester asked. There was slight annoyance in his voice and Mike swallowed.

          “No. You ready to go play some mini-golf?” Mike asked taking a step back motioning for Chester to follow.

          “Yea sure,” Chester said as he followed Mike down the steps and then down the driveway.

          Dave grinned at them as they joined the group on the sidewalk, “Let’s go get some holes in ones!”

          “I’m not sure if that is how you’re supposed to say it,” Mike said with a grin as he hit Dave on the head. He was glad that he wasn’t alone with Chester. He was happy that Dave had changed.

          “Whatever. Mini-golf shouldn’t be to hard should it?” Dave asked as they wandered down to the place. Mike laughed and shook his head. As it turned out, it was hard.

          “Fuck,” Mike muttered as his golf ball missed the hole by a foot.

          “Don’t worry about it Mikey. I got this,” Dave said laughing as he lined up his shot. His did the exact same thing that Mike’s had. “Fuck.”

          “Man this is difficult,” Chester said as he got ready to take his shot.

          “Yea. Maybe we should just keep going because we’re holding up a lot of people,” Dave muttered. Mike turned to see a few families waiting patiently behind them.

          “Oh damn. Yea. Hey Chaz, come on we’re going to move on,” Mike called and Chester who was about to hit his shot, glanced up so he misjudged where the ball was going to go. It ended up going into the water and Chester had to go dig it out.

          “Thanks a lot dumbass,” Chester called from the river. Mike staggered like he’d been shot. Had Chester just called him a dumbass? Mike caught Dave’s glance and shrugged. Maybe it had just slipped out or something. But when Chester met up with them, he didn’t apologize. Mike nodded at him and they continued to play. He could tell Chester wasn’t enjoying himself. He looked pissed and Mike was starting to worry if something was up.