Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Mike’s POV

          He sat with Chester the night before Chester was supposed to go on his field trip. He saw Chester was a little bit nervous. He’d been nervous ever since Mike had told him to go. That it would be a good opportunity to get some extra credit in his science class. Chester was close to having a D in that class. If he got some extra credit, he could pull a higher grade. Chester had refused at first but finally agreed after Mike told him it would make him happy.

          “I don’t want to go, Mike,” Chester said quietly.

          “Chaz, it’ll be fine. There will be teachers all over the place. And adults. I know you’re afraid but it’ll be alright,” Mike said as he kissed Chester on the head. Chester sighed quietly.

          “I hate everyone in my classes. How will I make it?”

          “They wouldn’t dare touch you with teachers watching them,” Mike said comfortingly. Chester nodded a little bit and rested his head in Mike’s lap. Mike rubbed his head slowly, being careful to avoid the spot that Chester had gotten hit against the locker. Mike hadn’t been there at the time but he had found Chester on the ground with blood running down the side of his head. Mike had tracked the kid down that did it and beat him up.

          Chester winced as Mike ran his hand over the cut by accident, “Ouch.”

          “Sorry Chazzy,” Mike apologized.

          “No its alright. Just hurts. Mike……why do they hate me?” Chester asked quietly. Mike looked down at the small boy with his head in his lap.

         “I don’t know. I don’t know why they do. They shouldn’t but they do,” Mike said softly.

          “I don’t want people to hate me. I wish I knew why, so I could change it,” Chester whispered.

          “There’s nothing about you that should be changed Chaz. You’re perfect. I’ve told you that so many times,” Mike said softly.

          “But if I could change, then I wouldn’t have to worry about what other people thought. Wouldn’t that be good?” Chester asked.

          “I’d do anything to make you happy. But I don’t want you to change for other people,” Mike said. Chester sighed softly and didn’t respond to Mike’s statement. Mike went back to rubbing Chester’s hair until he was breathing evenly. Mike closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Chester’s POV

          He gave Mike a goodbye hug before he left for his field trip bus. He still didn’t want to go but he’d do it for Mike. He slowly walked behind the other people on the way to the bus. He dragged his feet at the end of the line. He heard shouting on the bus as he climbed on and then looked up at the rows of seats. Everyone shifted on the bus. He slowly walked down the aisle.