Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Mike’s POV

          “Heeeey! Mike guess what!? There’s a fair in town for the weekend. We should go play some games. Steal prizes from little kids and shit,” Dave yelled over the phone.

          “Yea. That sounds wonderful Dave,” Mike said sarcastically.

          “Oh come on. You’ll have fun. Bring Chester too.”

          “I don’t know,” Mike turned to where Chester was watching him talk with a small grin on his face.

          “Chaz do you want to go to the carnival with me and Dave?” Mike asked and he saw Chester’s face lighten up.

          “DO YOU CHESTER?” Dave screamed over the phone and Mike jerked it away from his ear.

          “Yea that’d be fun!” Chester smiled jumping up from the couch. Mike was worried he was going to see Chester crumple to the ground any minute. He didn’t want Chester to hurt himself.

          “Are you sure?” Mike asked uncertainly.

          “YES HE’S SURE!” Dave yelled and Chester grinned.

          “Yes. Let’s go,” Chester nodded.

          “ALRIGHT I’LL SEE YOU GUYS THERE!” Dave yelled and then he hung up. Mike was holding the phone about three feet away from his head. Dave got way to excited about these things.

          “You know, we don’t have to go if you don’t feel like going,” Mike said. He still expected Chester to fall over. Maybe he was just paranoid.

          Chester stood up, “I want to go Mike. I don’t want to just sit around here and do nothing. I’m finally ok again. I want to do something.”

          “Alright. I’m just making sure. I don’t want you to get hurt,” Mike said looking down. He dragged his toe on the rug and didn’t meet Chester’s eyes. Then he felt hands grip his shoulders.

          “And I’m not going to. I promise. Now come on, let’s not keep Dave waiting,” Chester smiled at him and Mike had to laugh. The two of them walked out of their house and headed to the carnival which was only a few blocks from Mike’s house. His eyes kept shifting to where Chester was walking beside him. Chester was so calm and happy. Mike was glad to see him like this. He smiled slightly as Chester caught him looking at him.

          “Like what you see?” Chester grinned.

          “You know I do. Now stop being such a flirt and let’s go to the carnival,” Mike smiled hitting Chester on the head playfully.

          Chester smirked at him and jogged a few paces in front of Mike. He then proceeded to turn around and put his arms behind his head. He smiled at Mike. Mike rolled his eyes as he walked forward to where Chester was.

          “You’re not going to seduce me so stop trying,” Mike grinned and Chester laughed. Mike put his arm around the smaller boy who had returned to his side.

          “Ok I’ll stop trying to turn you on,” Chester smiled at him.

          “Shut up!”

          “Let’s go to the carnival, Mike! You’re so slow,” Chester laughed as Mike pushed him away and took off towards the entrance. Chester raced after him. He could hear the pounding footsteps. They reached the ticket booth and bought their tickets. Mike led the way inside and Chester appeared at his side as soon as they were in. Dave came out of nowhere.