Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Mike’s POV

          “Take everything from the inside and…fuck!” Mike yelled angrily as he backed away from the microphone. He was done trying to hit all those notes. No matter what he did, it just didn’t sound right to him.

          “That may be a bit unsanitary but….” He turned to see Brad giving him a grin. He had to laugh. Leave it to Brad to make a joke at his choice of swearing in the song.

          Dave walked in, “Hey Mike, you ok?”

          “Yea I’m fine. Just frustrated.”

          “Well come on upstairs and take a break. We’re all hanging out in the garage.” The studio was at Joe’s house so they took breaks in his garage. It was the closest place and since it was close to the end of the school year, it was nice outside. Mike nodded and followed them upstairs. They ended up staying out there a lot longer than usual but that was because Dave brought up a topic that they hadn’t discussed.

“So Mike I’ve been thinking,” Dave said.

          “Dave can think?”

          “Declare a holiday!”

          “I’m so proud of you!”

          “Fuck you guys!”

Mike laughed and turned towards Dave, “What were you thinking Dave?”

          “I think we should get vocal auditions.”

Everyone was silent. Dave had finally brought up something that they’d all been thinking about. Mike had been afraid to voice the thought but he had been thinking the same thing. He knew he wasn’t as good as he should be. He could rap but the long notes they had written just didn’t cooperate with him.

          “I think we should,” Mike agreed. They didn’t write dance songs either. They wrote darker songs with meaning. Well they only had four written out with another one on its way.

          “Should we put flyers up or something?” Brad asked leaning against one of the bikes in the garage.

          “Yea. We’ll have the auditions in two days. Whoever has the best voice will be part of the band. It makes sense. We’ll just have to get along with them,” Dave said.

          “What are we going to have them sing?” Rob asked from the other side of the garage.

          Dave looked at Mike with a questioning look, “Mike?”

          “One of our songs. Preferably Numb,” Mike said thinking of the song he had the most difficulty with.

          “Alright it’s all set. We’ll give them a copy when they get here and then they can look it over before they come in.

          “Do you guys think you can handle this?” Joe asked with a grin.

          “What do you mean, you guys? You’re helping with this too Joe!” Rob said laughing.

          “Let’s get to work! We need to get them out today!” Mike shouted and they all ran into Joe’s house to start working on their flyers.

Chester’s POV.

          Chester was really confused. And upset. And angry. Fuck he hated himself. What the hell had he done to deserve all this? And why was Mike still angry at him? He’d given him the lyrics back. Was he mad that he’d written on them? That he’d screwed them up? Had he screwed them up? That would make the most sense. He seemed to do that a lot. He’d been stupid to trust Mike in the first place. He laughed bitterly as he thought of how stupid he’d been. He had trusted the boy who had hated him for more than four years. He should’ve trusted anyone but him. And now his head hurt. A lot.