19

nineteen

brooklyn

Immediately I entered my house I felt a pulsating lump of guilt in the bottom of my stomach, just poking at every one of my organs. I shouldn't have yelled at Harry, he's done nothing wrong and was only trying to help. I just-

"Brooklyn? Come say hi to our guests," My moms voice peered from the living room, making me want to the crawl into my stomach and die.

I threw my backpack on the floor and walked over only to see the new neighbours sitting cozy in that one room every coloured person has in their house that no one is allowed to go in.

I bit my lip, realizing how much of a mess I looked like right now. "Hi, again." I smiled at the group of people. My eyes met the boy from this morning, smiling at me.

"Brooklyn, how are you?" The mom asked, honestly didn't remember her name. "I'm fabulous, how are you?"

"Good, good." She responded genuinely and I smiled. "I think we're boring Derek, you think you can entertain him for a little while, brooklyn?" She waved, and I just smiled nodding. Derek stood up from the expensive leather couches and followed me out of the glass incased room.

I went to the kitchen, grabbing a bag of Doritos and then picking my bag up from the floor before jogging up the stairs.

"You have a really nice house," Derek said, being the first one to begin a conversation. I noticed his accent, how long has he been here? "Thank you." I mumbled entering my room, and immediately flopping onto my bed.

Derek stood awkwardly, and I nudged my head to the door and he closed it before sitting on my spiny chair. That chair is getting more action than I am.

Derek wiped his hands on his adidas pant jogger things, and mumbled. "So, um.. my mom is thinking about sending me to Lincoln? What do you think about it?" He asked, I just looked up from my bag of chips.

"I don't recommend it," I mumbled, stuffing my face. He just coughed, drifting his eyes away. "Are you okay?"

"No," i shrugged, "I'm not. I have no money, no one notices me, I have only one fucking friend that probably hates me too. Yeah, so far, I don't think England is for me." I said sarcastically, leaning against my bedframe. Derek stood up slowly, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault I'm a piece of garbage." I smiled dryly, licking the orange dust off my fingers. "Anyways, im supposed to be 'entertaining' you. How's everything with you?" I asked and he shrugged, licking his lips.

"My girlfriend cheated on me, with my best friend. I found out the day I moved." He mumbled, my stomach fell. "I'm sorry," I said, looking up to see him.

He had chocolate brown skin, and curly hair that was growing into a wild Afro. He had a sharp jawline, with strong dark eyebrows, and eyes, with think pink lips. I wouldn't understand why anyone would wanna cheat on someone like him.

He just chuckled dryly. I pointed my bag of chips to him and he took a handful, eating out his palm one by one, we just sat in complete silence.

I wanted to cry so bad, and not gonna lie that was my complete intention. But regardless, I held myself together. I just wanted my dad. I just wanted to be in his arms, I wanted his warmth. But I might never have that again.