20

twenty

brooklyn

The next day, I walked the halls with headphones and a hoodie. My mom offered me a ride, and I gladly took the offer, making sure to text Harry and tell him that I'm gonna be early.

I loved being early if I was honest, I'd usually sit around in Ms. Michaels room and helped her set up, sometimes I'd even draw. I haven't been early since me and Harry had our little split, so I was pretty excited to see her. But when I got to her room, it was locked.

All the teachers had to be atleast 30 minutes early to first period each day. I looked closer, only to see her desk was cleared out. All the photos she had, her mugs, all gone.

Did she get fired?

For what? What could she possibly get fired for?

I heard heels click down the quiet hall, and I whipped my head around, only to see my vice principal. "Hey! Hey, um.." fuck, what's her name? "What happened to Ms. Michaels? Is she here yet?" I asked. She sped up her walk, but that didn't stop me.

"Umm, I can't answer questions about her right now." She responded, i furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean you can't answer questions? Why is her desk cleared out?" I asked frantically, practically jogging beside the lady. She stopped suddenly.

"Listen, Ms. Nights, I'm gonna need you take a few steps back-"

"-what do you think I'm gonna do, hit you? Why can't you answer my question?" I asked, she backed up a few steps and I rolled my eyes. I kind of want to hit you, now. "The police said not to. She had something to do with your assault, your mother was there. You know? At the meeting you never bothered to show up to."

"No one told me about that fucking meeting!" I burst out, immediately realizing my mistake. She pressed her hand to her little white A cup looking chest, practically wincing. "Listen, Ms. Nights- Ms. Michaels got fired. That's the end of the story, keep your mouth shut." With that her heels clicking down the hall became more and more distant as I just stood there. My mouth gaped open, just heartbroken.

This is all my fault.

I felt tears well in my eyes, and I clenched my jaw, as hard as I could. "Fuck, fuck," i cursed under my breath, swinging my backpack around frantically. Reaching for my phone, but the zipper wouldn't open.

"Open, open, open, open," I whispered, tugging at it. "Fucking open, you piece of shit!" I shouted slamming my bag on the tile floor and sliding down the lockers. The zipper slid enough for me to squeeze my phone out, and I immediately called Harry.

1 ring.

2 ring.

3 ring.

Voicemail.

In the corner of my eye, I saw a car pull in. I grabbed my bag, booking it into the girls bathroom, and into a stall. I locked the door, feeling my breath speed up and out of control. I felt a tightness in my chest getting worse and worse, and that's when I called Harry again.

Voicemail.

Again,

Voicemail.

I pressed my forehead against the stall door, practically cursing myself for dialling Reece.

On the first ring, a raspy voice spoke through my speakers. "Hello?" It said.

"Reece?" I panted, my voice shaky. "Yeah, Brooklyn? Brooklyn! Are you okay?" He said joy leaking from his voice. I wanted to fucking punch him, but at the moment I needed him.

"Listen, I need you to come pick me up from school. I need to go see your aunt."

-

"D-Do you wanna tell me what's going on?" Reece said, looking away from the road to catch me staring out the window. "You look, um.. distressed." He told me and I tried harder to breathe. It hurt so bad each time.

"I.. I'm having some breathing issues right now." I panted, he looked away from the road again. "Just, um. Just drive, please." I said, feeling tears plucking my eyes.

This is so stupid, and so unsafe. I hardly know this kid, and he's driving 120kmh, on a empty freeway to my teachers house. Not to mention, he's the kid who practically left me for dead.

"I.. I just wanted to tell you, brooklyn. That im so sorry for leaving you. It's been haunting the shit out of me for the past few weeks. I shouldn't have done that, I should've taken you. It was stupid, and selfish. And I'm really sorry. I know you probably think I'm some dick- but im not."

"It's okay, Reece." I said, well, tried to say, anyways. It just came out as a shaky breath.

"I forgive you."

In minutes we were stopped infront of tiny one story house. It was atleast a 30 minute drive, and that's without traffic. She was broke. She was was working for 30,000 a year And I took that away from her.

The sound of the engine stopping, snapped me out of my thoughts. "We're here," Reece's shaky voice peered through the quiet car. I didn't respond. I unlocked my door and practically ran to the door, and knocked desperately.

Ms. Michaels opened it soon enough, looking like a mess. I gasped quickly hugging her tight, immediately bursting into tears. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault, I'm sorry," I repeated- muffled into her shoulder.

"Why are you here, you should be at school!"

"I swear to god, if my mom would've told me about the meeting, I would've gone. I wouldn't have let them fire you, this is all my fault. I-"

"-Brooklyn! Listen to me, Brooklyn! You couldn't have done anything regardless, it's not your fault." She said, gripping my shoulders. "I should've tried!" I yelled and she just shushed me, bringing me into a tight hug. Tears were still streaming from my face, as she rubbed my head.

"Brooklyn you are a beautiful, talented girl. You are, and you are capable of so much. God has plans for me, and he'll guide me. Don't let this ruin your grades. You graduate, okay? Graduate, and get the fuck out of here. This wasn't your fault. I'll be okay, baby."