25

twenty-five

brooklyn

It was that dreaded period again - lunch.

I remember how I used to wander around the hallways for the full half-hour but for the first time in my life, I was over it. I was truly one hundred percent over it. So, I walked into the cafeteria. Unlike every highschool movie no one turned and stared at me - no one really even noticed me, although that would've made this chapter a little bit more dramatic, wouldn't it?

I clutched onto my backpack and made my way over to a lunch bench near the back, it looked unoccupied other than one girl who probably wouldn't mind the company.

I walked around the perimeter, keeping my head down and not cutting through tables because that would draw more attention to me. I sat across from this girl, she had a black hoodie over herself and her head was buried in a novel. I figured she wouldn't notice me so I didn't bother saying hello and just placed my bagged sandwich infront of myself.

"H-Hi.." she said out of no where. She lifted her head, not taking off her hoodie but allowing me to see her. Her hair was a bright red, that sat in two braids on either side of her shoulders, her eyes were a pale blue, and her skin was littered with light brown freckles. "Hi," I smiled at her. "Can, I, uh.. sit here?" I ask and she nodded vigorously.

"Yeah! It's fine. I'm Maggie." She said excitedly and I smiled nodding. "I'm Brooklyn," I said taking a bite of my sandwich.

"I really love your skin - not in a weird way, that sounded weird. I mean, I like the colour... I said that like it was sweater, let me just shut up." She said. I laughed a little. "It's okay, thank you. I love your hair," I complimented her.

"I hate it." Maggie frowned.

"Why?"

"It's ugly."

"I don't think it is, I think it's really beautiful. It makes you stand out, it's a good thing." I said and she just shrugged slapping her book closed.

"Are you new here?" She asked and I nodded. "I started in September," I responded.

"I notice your accent," she giggled. "Where are you from?"

"Oh, I'm from.. Michigan.." i said, not really wanting to get into detail. She nodded. "Have you seen the new exchange boy. Harry, I think his name was? He's so cute, and he's an artist," Maggie smiled giddily, leaning into me and whispering. "I'm so jealous, I heard he's already found a girlfriend." She pouted.

People are jealous of me? Assuming, ofcourse, that I'm the girlfriend he might have another little freshman fling that I don't know about. I didn't even know people noticed Harry, maybe it's because I always have headphones in my only friend is my art teacher.

At that exact moment my phone buzzed.

harry xx:
where are you?

I rolled my eyes, a little to noticeably, making Maggie stutter. "Sorry, I was reading a text. Um, yeah, I've never seen Harry but I'm sure he's.. nice."

harry xx:
your read receipts are on b

harry xx:
meet me in the parking lot, let's go to mcdonalds

"You're really blowing up over there." Maggie smiled and i shrugged.

"It's, um.. yeah..." I struggled and she laughed. "Well, Brooklyn, I better start walking.. my next class is in the other building. Can I get your number?" She asked and I nodded. "Yeah, sure." I smiled.

Maggie pulled her phone from her jean pocket and I read her my phone number by memory as she noted it down. We said our goodbyes and she left the cafeteria, leaving me sat alone at the lunch table.

Before I could even think of a reply I heard my ringtone. I sighed, checking the caller ID, and as you guessed it - it was Harry.

I declined it without hesitation, only to have it ring again. "For fucks sake," I cursed, flipping my phone back over and sliding it to answer.

"What?" I said into the phone, turning to see if Maggie had left the cafeteria- only to see Harry smirking at me, leaned up against the door.

"Let's go angel," he sung and I rolled my eyes, hanging up his stupid call. I shoved my phone and garbage into my backpack before swinging it over my shoulder and walking around to him.

He smiled at me, leaning in to kiss me on the lips but I turned my head, just continuing to walk. "Are you mad at me?" Harry asked, catching up to me in an instant.

"No," I mumbled and he scrunched his face up. "Then why did you just dodge my kiss?" He asked, I just shrugged, pushing open the school doors and beginning to walk out into the parking lot. The cold immediately hit my chest, and I crossed my arms infront myself.

"Brooklyn," he said lowly. I didn't flinch, just kept walking.

"Brooklyn." He repeated himself.

"Brooklyn," he said a little louder, grabbing my arm and swinging me to face him.

"Fucking look at me when I'm talking to you." He snapped.

I shook my head, glaring at him, and he squeezed my arm tighter. "Let go of me." I said firmly.

"What's going on with you, Brooklyn?"

"Let go of me!" I shouted, yanking my arm out of his grip, his rings scraped against my bare skin making me hiss. A few eyes turned to stare at us, as Harry just looked at me in fear.

I don't know if he was afraid of what he had done, or what I might do but I didn't do anything. I just ran; I ran home.