30

thirty

brooklyn

"Hey," Harry says slowly, I swallow hard trying to break eye contact with him. I sat in the other chair and placed my backpack on the ground next to me. "I'm kinda surprised you came" he chuckled but I didn't.

"Um... listen, I know that you probably hate me and I'm-"

"Who's Samantha?" I cut him off.

"Huh?"

"Who. Is. Samantha."

"Sam was my best friend back in North Carolina, we were really close. We dated back in like sophomore year, it wasn't really a big deal-"

"You do realize that that was only last year, right?" I cut him off again. He scratched his neck nervously, "yeah..."

"You didn't break up with her, did you?" I asked lowly and Harry sighed. "Well, um-"

"Tell me the truth, Harry."

"Okay, we didn't have a sit down conversation about it- no but I also never really asked her out. We just kinda started hooking up in the summer and then by around Christmas last year she just sort of stopped talking to me and started hanging out with this other guy. We didn't hook up or talk or do anything for months. I talked to her on the last day and told her I got accepted for this exchange program, then I left about 3 days later and that was it. We got close again in the summer this year but we were just friends, she told me she'd been dating this guy named Clay since January. I don't know why the fuck she told you we were dating on the phone if she's in a bloody relationship with someone else— but I'm not dating her, Brooklyn." Harry ranted.

At this point I didn't know what to think, I wanted to believe him if I was being honest but I didn't know if I could. Most guys wouldn't go this far to cover up cheating on anyone. He's probably telling the truth, he's a good guy.

"What about the pregnancy?"

"She had a small pregnancy scare and she went to go get it checked out, but she was nervous to tell Clay about it so i was helping her figure it out. She was just calling to tell me about the results and they were negative."

I stayed silent, leaning back into my chair and sighing. Harry leaned forward, clasping his hands infront of his knees. "I miss you." He said and I rolled my eyes, scoffing. "No, I do. I can't stop thinking about you.. I can't stop dreaming.. about you. I never liked anyone like you- I never liked anyone the way I like you. I don't know if you feel the same way but I just... I-I think.. I think I love you."

My breath hitched and my heart began to beat faster and faster to the point that I felt I was gonna pass out. My vision went blurry and I felt my palms begin to sweat.

'i think i love you'

"I know you probably can't say I love you too right now, and that's okay. I just want you to know how I feel." Harry spoke again, I kept quiet, just trying to regulate my breathing. "I'm sorry." He said, I bit my lip, sighing.

"I don't know what to tell you." I finally spoke again, giving the brown-haired boy some hope. "just tell me what's going through your mind." He said and I sighed once again, leaning back in my chair. "If you're telling the truth," I said back, staring at the table. It was then when I noticed people began entering the Library since study hall had began. Harry just stared back at me, silent.

"We can.... this was a lot to take in, if you want me to go for a little while. We can pick this up tomorrow?" He suggested. Probably remembering his promise not to persuade me. I perked up in my seat and just nodded. "We can talk tonight if you want. If you wanna go to the hill.." I said, his eyes immediately lighting up as he nodded frantically.

"I'll come get you at around 8?"