46

i feel like this book is getting a lil boring so im trying to make it more dramatic lol

forty-six

brooklyn

"Harry's gone, yeah?" Junior asked me from his hospital bed and I nodded, glancing down to my candy crush screen. "Do you miss him?" He asked again and I nodded. "A little." I responded, "Do you love him?"

"Since when do you care about my life?" I laughed, switching off my phone and sliding it into my sweater pocket. "Since the doctor said the surgery has a 80% success rate, if I die you gotta say good shit at my funeral." He said and I laughed again.

"You'll be fine."

"Answer the goddamn question, Brooklyn, sweet lord-"

"Okay, okay.. yeah, I think I do love him."

"Does Derek know that?"

"He knows I'm dating Harry, so his ass should know that." I said, "You didn't hear this from me but on Friday when Harry yelled at you, he came back to drop off your bag and then Derek was all like-"

"Knock knock," My moms voice sung through the door before entering. "I bring guests," she beamed and of course Derek and his family walked in, followed by Junior's friends.

"Speak of the devil." Junior cursed under his breath and I only chuckled. "We came to wish you luck for the surgeries!" A blonde said excitedly and Junior nodded. "When are they again?" Derek's mom asked, "Tomorrow morning." Mom answered her, slapping my shoulder to get off the only seat in the room. So I stood so Derek's mom could sit and dismissed myself into the hallway.

I walked down the pale white hallway to the elevator and hopped in, thanking God it was empty but I spoke too soon.

"Hold it!" A low voice said, squeezing himself through the tiny space between the two doors. Not to my surprise, it was Derek.

"Hey," he breathed, "Where you going?"

"2nd floor." I said quietly and he nodded, pressing the button.

"Mind if I eat with you?"

"Who told you I'm going to the caf?"

I was.

"What else would you do on the second floor. Are you mad at me or something?" He asked with a stupid smile on his face. I just rolled my eyes and walked out the newly opened elevator doors. Walking fast down the hallway, Derek tried to keep up with me shouting my name until I reached the cafeteria that reminded me a little too much of school. I grabbed a tray and a plate and walked down the weird buffet thing, putting only a hotdog wiener, bun, a carton of pudding, and bottle of iced tea on my tray.

Derek tried to follow behind me and did okay because we sat down at the same time. "Can you tell me what the shit I did?" He said, laughing like an idiot.

I didn't respond, just slid the hotdog into the bun and took a big bite.

"Brooklyn."

"Honestly, I'm clueless."

"I have nothing to say to you." I snapped and he sat back, his eyes wide. "Oh my god, is this about Harry? Did he snitch to you?"

"No, actually. I heard the whole thing. What makes you think you have a right to do that? To call him out, huh?"

"This is my fault?" He raised his eyebrows and his voice and I nodded firmly. "It's my fault for wanting the best for you! For thinking you deserve better than some shitty country boy who throws you around? Here's the problem, you're too blind to see the truth. The guy was fucking tons of other girls for the first two months you thought you were dating and he said sorry and you just completely forgot about it like it didn't happen-"

"Shut up! Just shut up! You don't know anything, you're just talking out of your ass and-" I shouted suddenly, jumping in my seat.

"Is this getting a little too real for you, Brooklyn? Don't wanna hear the truth?"

"It's not the truth."

"What was that?"

"It's not the fucking truth!" I screamed, every single eye, every single head, incapacitated or not shot to our table and stared. Derek laughed, obviously realizing the attention I just got us.

"Keep lying to yourself, bitch." He cursed, standing up and storming out of the cafeteria.