Chapter 6: Again

ELLA

"Can you tell me what happened?" Sargent Benson asks me.

It sounded like she was talking to me from far away. I'm not paying attention. Or maybe I'm just in shock.

"You're in shock which is totally normal for what happened today" her voice still sounded far away.

"I-i was u-um, I was getting out of the shower. I went to go change when I realized Grayson wasn't home. Before I was able to change someone knocked on the door. I didn't check who it was and I should've" I say rubbing my temples frustrated with myself.

"Hey, this is not your fault"she tells me.

"I opened the door and he pushed his way and making me fall. He grabbed me by the hair and dragged me to the room" I run my fingers though my hair as I wince.

"Then he threw me on the bed. I tried to fight back. He slapped me and I kicked him. That's when I got the chance to run away. I ran to my neighbors and told her to call the cops. I should've done more" I place my face in the palm of my hands.

"You survived, fought back, and ran, that's all you could have done" she rubs my shoulder in comfort.

"Now what?" I ask.

"We're going to look for evidence in your house, hopefully he left something that will tell us who he is"

"If he's caught will I have to testify" I stare at my hands.

"Yes, but you're going to have to tell us everything from now on"

"Okay" I lie.

I can't tell her who I really am. I can't. I swore to myself I'd never go back down that road again. And yet here I am being forced to walk it. She's not me anymore. She died a long one ago. No one can know who I am, not even Grayson.

~

"Ella?" Grayson yells.

I run towards him. His arms made me feel safe. His arms were the only arms I wanted to be held in. I started to tear up as he held me. I don't want to lose him. I love him to much.

"Are you okay?" He cups my face with his hands.

I nod my head. If I say yes I know I won't be able to keep my tears in. I hold him one more time as he places his chin in the creek of my neck.

"Can we just go home?" I ask.

"Yeah let's go home"

We both get into his car and drive to the house. I almost didn't want to go back but it's my home. How can I not go back there.

The drive was quiet. Neither one of us could bring ourselves to start conversation. By the time we get there the police were already there going through all of our things.

I walk to the door as the blonde haired detective from earlier spots me. She walks over holding blue nail polish.

I know exactly who's that is. I know exactly who raped me.

The very man who raped and stalked me for years when I first turned 15. I thought he was gone. How did I not recognize him?

He's the reason I had to get a new identity. I had to leave everything behind. My family, my friends, my life. I went into Witness Protection because of him.

I thought it was over. But it's not. He's back. And he's after me again.