Chapter 24: Queen

ELLA/CHRISTINA

I run the to nearest closet by the door. I get in close it and crouch down. She trusts me enough to put her life in my hands. Even though we barely know each other. I hold tightly onto my gun. One measly mistake can cost her her life. I can't mess up this time. Not anymore.

"Delivery for Katy?" He asks.

"Yes, where's the package?"

"Oh I'm sorry I forgot it in my truck, it's been a long day" he apologizes and turns to go back o his truck.

My heart beats faster and faster as I can hear his steps get closer. I inhale a deep breathe and close my eyes. Why does life have to be like this? Why do we have men and women who choose to murder and rape just for the fun of it. Why can't the world just be perfect? But I guess this is perfect. It's perfectly imperfect. Or maybe this is our perfect. Maybe there's nothing more perfect than this. It's not good but it's the best we will ever get. Because we have to be perfect first before we try to make the world perfect. But honestly no one knows exactly why perfection is. And maybe we never will.

"Sign here"

"Thank you" I hear the footsteps start to fade away.

It wasn't him. I get up and walk out as she closes the door holding a large package in her arms. She gently places the box onto the counter while we both stand around it. Not moving our gaze from the box she cuts the perfectly placed tape and opens it. As pulls out the object she freezes and drops it. It slowly makes its way to the floor. Everything is moving in slow motion. Her gasps fill the air. I look down at the floor. I crouch down and pick it up. It is beautiful. Her ring. I set it down on the table as I notice the blood etched into the diamond.

I grab the box and dig through the rest of the styrofoam. I feel a lacy type material as I pull it out. The styrofoam reveals a black laced underwear stained in blood. I gasp as I let it go, letting it fall onto the counter. Wiping my hands against my light blue jeans. I reach back into the box feeling around for anything else. I feel a thin piece of paper. I pull it out to reveal a card. Two cards. One with Katy's name and the other with mine. She reaches for hers and immediately opens it. She starts to read it. Her eyes skim over the words as fast as she can.

"What does it say?" I question.

She sits down on a stool burying her face into he hands after she hands me the letter. I rest off my hand onto her shoulder before reading it.

Dear Katy,

It sure has been a while since I've seen
you. Last time I checked you were barely on your way to college. Ah the smile on your face that day. Seemed as though nothing could ruin it. Until I just happened to run into you. You were so gentle. So perfect. So much like her. But you, you somehow didn't feel the same. You are much different than her. I thought you would be the same but you are not. You begged for your life when she didn't. You did everything we were told when she didn't. You accepted what happened to you when she couldn't . The are so many differences between you two even though you look so much alike. I have caused you enough pain throughout the years. I believe you have had enough torment. And that is why I will not be seeing you. But I send my dearest regards along with your panties from that night and your wedding ring.

Sincerely,
Cam.

P.S. Tell Christina I said hello.

I stand there frozen unable to move. I sit down and stare at the handwriting. The way each letter caressed the one another. He knows I'm following him. But how? I've covered my tracks so perfectly. Even when I try to get one step ahead he's always 4 more steps in front of me. That was one thing I've learned these past few months. He'll always be 4 steps ahead no matter how hard I try. It seems unfair. It's almost like he knows exactly what I'm thinking and what my next move will be. Almost like we are playing a game of chess.

And although I don't want to play this horrid game. I am. He forced me into this. Although he forced me to play, there's no way I'm letting him steal my queen. Because I am the queen. The very last defense I have against him. And this queen is about to take him down.