Chapter 48: I'm Home

CHRISTINA

My eyes abruptly open. No reason. No sound. Nothing to wake me up. Yet my body forces itself awake. I check besides me to find Grayson's bodily imprint left on the sheets. My eyebrows scrunch up as to why he's not here. 2:05 am.

It's still early. Too early. He didn't leave last night. And there's no reason for him to be awake at this time. I know the kids didn't cry. I would've heard them. I'm a light sleeper. Very light sleeper. Yet I didn't feel Grayson leave the bed.

My head aches. I close my eyes trying to get the pain to go away. I touch my temples. Somethings wrong. I feel woozy. I didn't drink last night. I haven't drank since.... since he came back. My head continues to ache. I sit on the edge of the bed trying to get the pains to stop. My eyes become blurry. But not by tears. They just blur out. I blink as much as I can to get my vision back to normal. After a few minutes I can see.

As the pains start to slowly fade from my head I hear a creek in the floor. I immediately stand up. Grayson's light footed. He never makes any noise when walking. Never. I slowly and quietly run to the closet closing it behind me. I stand in the pitch black as I hear a mumble coming from outside the door. The steps get louder as they depart.

My heart races as my breaths become more and more heavy. The twins. I quietly search for the loose board in the wall and feel around for the gun. I also feel the phone I had put in their. The moment my hand makes contact with the gun I forcefully pull it out as quietly as I can along with the phone. I put the board back making sure it's covered with clothes on hangers.

I turn on the phone hoping it won't make any noise. It doesn't. I hold down the button so it'll make an emergency 911 call. It'll take awhile for them to get here. I know it will.

I slowly open the closet door. More blackness. I carefully feel around the room trying not to bump into something and make noise. I finally feel the doorknob. I slowly turn it and open it partially before a sliver of light pours through. I hear mumbles down the hall. None I truly recognize. Well they're not Grayson, Ethan or Christians voice. I'd know.

I open the door just enough to let my body through. The moment I step outside I close the door behind me making sure to not make any noise. The mumbles get louder as I step closer down the hall. I stop at the edge of the wall and peak into the living room.

My eyes immediately water at the sight. I quickly cover my mouth not allowing any sobs to fall out. I push my back against the wall trying to not to be seen. I take another peak and hold the gun tightly behind my back. Grayson immediately spots me and his eyes goes wide. I shake my head and signal him to look away and stay quiet. His eyebrows furrow as he forces himself to look in the other direction.

I take the safety off of the gun. I take in a deep breath. I look back into the living room and find Ethan next to the couch tied and unconscious. Grayson sits across the room also tied up. I don't see Christian anywhere. I check to see if whoever's tied them up is looking in my direction. The moment he looks away I sprint to the other side of the hall.

I try to control my deep and fast breaths. I close my eyes for a second and open them once more. I poke my head through Christians door and find him unconscious laying on his bed with his hands tied behind his back. I enter and close the door behind me.

I try to relax myself but my body only continues to tense up. I grab the scissors from his drawer, being careful to not make any noises. I cut off the plastic ties and try to wake Christian up. I shake him violently. He doesn't move. I lay my head against his chest listening closely for a heart beat. His heart beats perfectly fine. It's not faint.