Chapter 23: Hide

ELLA/CHRISTINA

I stare into his eyes one last time. So perfect. So beautiful. The eyes I fell for. Holding his hands I rest my forehead against his. I stare at our hands. His touch illuminates me. He could break my heart and put it back together all in one kiss, but today it feels like I'm the one breaking and putting his heart back together. I'd just wish that things would be better between us right now. I'd just wish things didn't happen the way they did. I sigh before I pull my head away from his. I hold him in my arms. He holds me tightly not wanting to let go. I don't want to let go either but I do.

"I love you"

"I love you, too" I turn to leave.

Before I can take a few steps he grabs my hand and pulls me into a kiss. It's not a hello kiss nor a goodbye kiss. It's a see you later kiss. His lips moved into sync with mine. They're so soft and gentle. This very kiss could be the last of just the beginning of  the rest of our lives. But I choose for it to be the first of our lives together because I can't bare the thought of going one day without knowing he loves me as much as I do. I will never take his love for granted. Never.

I slowly pull away releasing his hand. Ethan hugs me tightly. He smiles at me. He's kept so many of my secrets. My very best friend. That's all I can see Ethan as. Just a best friend. Nothing more.

"See you later" he waves.

"See you later" I smile at them both.

I stare at them one last time. The two standing there right next to each other. Even though they are identical twins they don't seem like it anymore. Grayson is taller, more muscular and tanner. Ethan's hair is nothing like Grayson's. Ethan's hair is long everywhere but it goes up instead of down. Basically 2016 Ethan. They both still have the same sense of style. Converse, vans, skinny jeans, ripped jeans whatever shirt they can find, and occasionally hats. They're so alike but different all at the same time. I'd never stop comparing them because they're both so perfect in every way.

I slowly open the door and start to walk out. Before I can make it all the way out I turn around to smile at them one last time. They both smile back. I close the door behind me leaving them alone with Christian and Christina. I stand there outside of the door staring out into the sky. I stop myself from running back inside and jumping into Grayson's arms. I have to finish what I've started. Or else all of this would be for nothing. I can't let it all be for nothing. This is too important to me.

~

I sit down on the edge of the bed burying my face into my hands. Today was too stressful. Too exhausting. I lay myself back placing my hands over my forehead. Staring up at the ceiling, I take in a deep breath before closing my eyes. I just want to be done. But I'm not even halfway close. He's gone back to 2 victims in under 1 week. Katy Stewart will make 3. I have to get to her before he does. I need to know everything that she knows. Maybe she knows more than I do. I doubt it but it's a possibility. I need her to help me.

I pull out her file and read over it. She was one of the victims that were so bad that they were in the hospital for weeks. She wasn't only just raped but she was beaten, tied up, strangled and stabbed. She wash strangled first until she passed out. When she woke up she was tied up while he was raping her. She screamed and he started to beat her. When she wouldn't be quiet he stabbed her once. Thank god her neighbor called the police. She was the first victim he'd done that to. Then he did it once more every year. Like it was another tradition besides raping girls each year.

I look away as soon as my eyes see the pictures of her afterwards. Bruises covered her face, neck, arms, torso and her thighs. The baddest bruise was under her right eye. Blood dripped from the cut right underneath the bruise. Her eyes swollen shut. The ligature marks on her wrist are so bad. It wrapped all around her frail wrist and was a purple and black color. Blood was all over her thighs. Running down her legs revealing more bruises. Though she was unconscious, she looked terrible. I'd just wish they had caught him a while back. We don't deserve this. Any of us. All we deserve is justice. Justice from the ones who wronged us in the worst way possible.

~

I stand there in front of the black colored door hesitating to knock. He hasn't gotten to her yet but I just don't want to knock. But I have to. I finally build up the courage to knock. Three swift hard knocks on the wooden door. She quickly pulls it open. She smiles so widely. There's no way he's gotten to her yet. Her eyes a perfect green. Nearly as green as mine. Her hair straight dark brown. Darker than how mine was. She looks just like me. The only differences are the hair type and very few facial features. She lacks the freckles that I have. But other than that she's the spinning image of me. Just like me.

"Who are you?" She asks in the sweetest tone I've ever heard.

I snap back into reality and look down at my shoes. I don't know what to say.

"Can I come in?" I gesture before I even realize what I am saying.

"Well, sure" she smiles.

She's too nice of a person. Although I don't know her, she seems like a pushover. I know one when I see one. Sadly I used to be one, too. But how can she still be one. After what had happened to her you'd think she'd be meaner, depressed, or even just negative. But instead she's the nicest person I've ever met.

I walk inside her home. Every wall is white and complimented with light brown marble tables. Honestly it's the prettiest home ever. I expected to see black and white paintings or tons of books, or even her in slippers and a robe. But she's in a sport shirt and short. She living every single second she has positively and happy.

I sit down at the table crossing my arms as she stands across from me.

"I know who you really are" I sigh.

"How do you know?" She gulps.

"Because I'm just like you"

"He raped you, too, didn't he?" She rubs her temples as she turns around.

"I was his first one"

"How many more?" She questions still facing away from me.

"Over a hundred"

Leaning against the counter she hangs her head. A large sigh erupts from her mouth. She turns to face me covering her mouth while crossing her shoulders. As I focus on her face and facial features I notice a thin line under her eye. It's a scar. It goes right above her cheekbone going down diagonally. She looks away as do I.

"Why did you come here?"

"To warn you"

"Warn me of what?"

"He's back, and he's not going after new ones, he's particularly interested in ruining the lives he once ruined before. I should know. He came back for me" I hang my head low.

"Who else has he gone back for?"

"After me, he's gone back for his second and third victims, you're his fourth"

"So he's coming back for me" she scoffs.

"I'm sorry"

"It's crazy how I've finally started to live my life again and he wants to ruin that again"

Loud knocks come from the door as we both turn to look at it. We both look back at each other knowing he's here.

"Delivery for Katy Stewart" he yells through the door obviously unaware that I am here.

She walks to the door and looks back at me before she puts he hand on the knob. She gestures for me to hide. I just stand there staring at her. She could be hurt again. I hold onto my purse feeling my gun. I pull it out and check the chamber. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. It's completely filled. I put the chamber back in and place the gun into my purse. I look back at her. She moves her mouth and I know exactly what she's saying.

"Hide"