Chapter 36: Flashlights

CHRISTINA

Screams fill the empty house as me and Christian both run into a closet to hide in. Tears race down my cheeks making them red. Christian holds me in his arms shushing me so I'd stop crying.

"It will be okay, just stop crying por favor no llores, toda estará bien, solo deja de llorar. Estoy aquí, estoy aquí" he runs his hands through my hair calming me down.

"Where are you!?" His yells echo off the walls.

"WHERE ARE YOU?!"

We both stay silent hoping he'll go away. We both tremble as the sounds of footsteps gets louder soon making its way to the front of the closet we are hiding in.

"CHRISTINA!" He yells making me jump.

The closet doors are thrown open to reveal both Christian and I trembling in each other's arms.

"Christina get up!" He yells forcing more tears to come to the surface racing down my cheeks.

"GET UP!"

I immediately jump up as fast as I can not wanting to but by will.

"Now this is what happens when you don't listen!" He yells slapping me across the face.

He starts to remove his belt when Christian jumps up in front of me trying to shield me from his hits.

"So you want to be a hero, huh. Let me show you what happens to people who have no business getting into things that doesn't involve them!" He yells beating Christian with his belt.

"Stop" I cry.

"Please just stop" I fall to the floor rocking myself back and forth covering my ears to not hear Christian's cries for help.

"Christina!" Christian cries.

"Christina!"

"Christina"

"Stop, Stop, Stop, Stop, Stop, STOP" I scream wanting it all to go away.

"Christina, wake up! Wake up!" Christian yells.

I wake up trembling in my sweat and tears. He pulls me into a hug trying to comfort me and stop me from crying. But I let it all out. I can't keep it in anymore. He's finally back in my nightmares after years of therapy. He's back.

~

"It was another nightmare, wasn't it?" Christian sighs after closing the door not wanting Grayson to hear.

"It's not a nightmare Christian, it's our past" I explain.

"It's a part of us and it always will be. And we can't change that. We can't change what he did to us. What he did to mom" I start to tear up.

"You woke up screaming stop. Which one was it?" He hangs his head not wanting an answer knowing he will get one.

"You were 8 I was six. We both hid in the closet hoping everything would just stop. But her screams got louder until finally they just stopped. And then once more his screams filled the house. He beat you with his belt while you tried to protect me. And I sat there watching it happen screaming my lungs out for it to stop. But it never did" I break out into sobs.