Chapter 27: A Broken Promise

GRAYSON

I finally close my eyes to rest. I let out a loud sigh. My muscles start to ache as I finally can sleep. As soon as I start to drift away Christian starts to cry. I groan and get up to comfort him. I hold him close to my chest and let him hear my heart beat and I shush him a lullaby. He finally quiets down. Reaching over to put him down I give him his bottle. I stare at both of them and everything starts to fade away. 2 of 4 people I love the most in the world. I will never put one over the other. Never. I love them both unconditionally.

I smile down at both of them as they peacefully sleep. Christina so beautiful smiles in her sleep. Just like Ella. I loved waking up before Ella. She would always smile in her sleep. The thing I loved most about her. Her smile. Especially when she slept and smiled. The thing I loved to look at the most. No sunset or sunrise could top the beauty of her smile. The way her beautiful big rosy lips so easily turned into a smile. It was the perfect thing to wake up to. Her smile. Her one of a kind smile.

It's been nearly 8 months since I saw that smile. Since she left. I miss her smile. It was the one thing that got me through everyday of my life. If I had one thing in life I could wish for, it would be to see her smile. I need her. My place is with her. It always has been. I fell for every single part of her. Not just her beauty but her personality. How she would make fun of me for trying to learn Spanish. How her lips would seem to get bigger when she is mad. How she she seemed to be so childish and so mature at the same time. How we would binge watch Spongebob just for the fun of it. How she would eat. How she laughed. She always thought her laugh was ugly, but although it is loud and obnoxious, it is my favorite. No other laugh is like hers. How she would force herself to squeeze one more episode in no matter how tired she is. The things I love most about her is not her beauty but everything else about her.

Everyday seems to get lonelier without her. Ethan's says she'll be back soon but he's been saying that since she first left. I just don't know how much longer I can go without her. As soon as I step out of the twins room my phone starts to ring.

I quickly walks towards it and without hesitation and without looking at the number, I answer it.

"Hello?" My voice echoes as I wait for them to respond.

"Grayson" she sobs.

My hearts drops as soon as I hear her sobs. I rub my eyes trying to keep my tears from falling. It's been so long since I've heard her voice. But she's crying.

"Baby? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I ask with concern.

"I want to come home, but I can't. I have to finish what I started. I miss you so much. Mi lugar es contigo" I could feel her heart ache as so did mine.

"Come home, please" I beg.

"I love you Grayson, I love you so much" she sobs as tears start to roll down my face.

"I love you, too"

"I wouldn't trade you for anything in the world, my love for you is unconditional. I will always choose you" her words tug at my heart.

"Then choose me now" I hang my head hoping for a response.

"I am" she says before hanging up.

With that my heart clings to those very words I am. With everything that has happened she's doing this for me. Yet at the same time it feels like it isn't. I try to contain my sobs but tears keep rolling down my face like a broken dam. Ethan walks in as I try to wipe away my tears. His smile falls from his face as he sees me. Slowly he walks over and hugs me.

"Everything's going to be okay"

A phrase I heard too often and too many times. Everything's going to be okay. A broken promise that everyone makes. A promise that really has no meaning. A promise that never seems to be kept. That's all it ever really is.

A broken promise.